Thread: A Question I Dont Know How To State

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

A Question I Dont Know How To State

Ok, here is what I got.

I have a old Wireless phone, and the charging base, that has a built in calling feature.

I also have a old laptop that only supports a telephone jack for internet.

Is it possible for me to take the charging base of the old phone and make it into a "Wireless Bridge" for my laptop, and then running the telephone cable from the telephone base to the laptop? And then make it connect to the Wireless internet that i have at my house?

Thanks, Musick Man

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: A Question I Dont Know How To State

Not gonna happen, as far as I know. The FCC makes sure that different devices run on different frequencies.

However, I bet there's some kind of external wireless modem adapter thingy that you could buy.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans

That won't work because the base station can only connect to the phone, and the phone jack on the laptop will only work for dial up internet over a phone line.

Beans

No.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Musick Man View Post
    Ok, here is what I got.

I have a old Wireless phone, and the charging base, that has a built in calling feature.

I also have a old laptop that only supports a telephone jack for internet.

Is it possible for me to take the charging base of the old phone and make it into a "Wireless Bridge" for my laptop, and then running the telephone cable from the telephone base to the laptop? And then make it connect to the Wireless internet that i have at my house?

Thanks, Musick Man
    Yeah, my old Dell laptop is like that too. The frequencies are different however, and even if they weren't, I don't know how you'd configure it. Also, your router connects to your ISP in a completely different way than dialup does.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

ok then, thanks for the responses.

Musick Man