Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will this work as a ubuntu sever?

Beans

Arrow Will this work as a ubuntu sever?

hey guys I'm new to ubuntu and i need some help i have ubuntu 8.04lts and 7.10 sever addition heres what i need to know 1st

1st i have an old dell that i want to turn into a sever to host games and host websites...will it work as ubuntu sever its old and its hard wear specs are 256mb ram 2.6 ghz Intel CPU and 20 gig hard drive?

2nd will it be able to host windows games and websites?

3rd what disk should i use and what installation guide should i use so that it will be able to host games and websites

thanks
    housedog

Beans

Re: Will this work as a ubuntu sever?

What do you mean by what disk? That sounds like a system with some limited capabilities. It all depends on what kind of websites you plan on running, and the system requirements for the game servers. I'm sure a basic webserver would work.

Beans

hey thanks for the fast reply

"what disk should i use"
    i mean should i use the 8.04 lts sever edition or

the 7.10 sever edition

-----
    i want sever to host basic personal websites and host some games low system requirement games "the games are not very demanding"

would lamp be the right set up opiton?..do you no a good website that guides you through set up process?

thanks
    housedog
    Last edited by housedog; September 19th, 2008 at 06:38 AM.

Beans

I'm not sure on the basic system requirements for Ubuntu server, but if you're able to run 8.04, I would just go with the newer one. It's command line, so I would assume it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Beans

do you think i am beater off to install ubuntu desktop edition and use that as a sever as i am new to ubuntu?...you can do that right?

thanks
    housedog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by housedog View Post
    do you think i am beater off to install ubuntu desktop edition and use that as a sever as i am new to ubuntu?...you can do that right?

thanks
    housedog
    I would suggest getting the server edition and if you're not comfortable with command line (like me) you can install a GUI. Server edition allows you to install various servers like LAMP mail print samba. To install a GUI over it you just issue a very simple command depending on what GUI you want

Beans

You should be fine hosting a website with those specs.

I have 7.10 server edition installed on an old HP unit with nearly identical specs and it hosts my website, mediaserver (it works, haven't really tried it with anything heavy duty yet), and also acts as my backup server.

Either 7.10 or 8.04 will be fine, I would advise that you go forego the Desktop version so you have a "minimal" amount of services running and unnecessarily consuming resources. You'll be able to find tutorials to do just about anything you want via command line.

Assuming this isn't your primary PC, best way to see how it performs it to install what you want and push it until it falls over...

Beans

hey thanks for the replies yea not very comfortable with command line would like to in stall a GUI over top but i failed to do SO heres what i did:

i set up the 8.04 sever last night by flowing this guide http://www.ubuntugeek.com/ubuntu-804...ver-setup.html

every thing worked fine it finished installing and ran the command line i was not very confident with the command line so i deiced to install a GUI over top so i type In the console

PHP Code:
    sudo aptitude update

sudo aptitude install ubuntu
    -desktop 
    it finishes downloading then i type

PHP Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start 
    it says
    *starting gnome display manger... [ok]

then nothing happens it goes to a new line in the console and doesn't load the GUI!! thats all i have done i haven't changed any settings or anything any help guys?

thanks
    housedog

Beans

i am re-downloading sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop

do you think that will fix it?

thanks
    housedog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The RAM may be the limiting factor for installing a desktop.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad] [Sub-forum]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast