Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just started tonight

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thumbs down Just started tonight

Hi All, I have just put my toe into the open source pond tonight, can anyone help me where I obtain the open source software for Ubuntu, eg registry cleaner, and general cleaning tools.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Just started tonight

Ubuntu has no registry: no cleaner needed. Also, Software installation is completely different, and Applications are generally much more well behaved: when you remove them, they only leave a hidden folder in your "home" directory, in-case you re-install.
    Last edited by mc4100; September 20th, 2008 at 09:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

No need for cleaning tools in general.

You'll find two things are very different from Windows :

1. Plenty of applications and tools (and I mean *plenty*) are installed by default.
    2. You should not install programs you get from the Internet. Not (only) for security reasons, but because they are available through another method which takes care of downloading, installing and setting up everything for you. Take a look at Synaptic, available from System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager. When you need something that's not installed by default, say Quod Libet (a music player), you search for its name, mark it to be installed, and apply. Libraries and everything are managed for you.
    This is the first age that's paid much attention to the future, which is a little ironic since we may not have one.
    -- Arthur C. Clarke

Beans

there is no registry in linux no need to defrag or use anti virus , although clamav anti virus is in the repositories if you want it .
    install ubuntu restricted extras and check out the sticky in the multimedia section to get java flash dvd playback etc these are not include by default for legal reasons . Linux is not windows but it is very good and a bit of learning is needed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There is probably all of the software you could possibly want in the Repos. You question suggests that you will need to change your thinking when using Linux and Ubuntu. Linux does not have a "registry" like Windows. You would to well to study the file structure in Linux. It will help you understand the entire system better. But, in any case, try to wipe your mind of Windows style approach to Linux because they are completely different. If you approach Linux with a Windows mind-set, you may well become frustrated because "it isn't like Windows."
    Bob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thumbs down Re: Just started tonight

Thanks all it seems that I need to retrain my mind, a bit of a struggle for an old gimmer who has only used MS from 98 to Vista, so it may take a little time to get to grips with this, but interesting all the same. By the way how do you find the spell checker this shows what you have mis-spelt but not how to correct the error, I am dyslectic taken me five minuits to find that in the dictionary, as I cannot find that in the toolbar. But once thanks for the help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The spell checker will offer up suggestions if you right-click the offending word.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Thanks all it seems that I need to retrain my mind, a bit of a struggle for an old gimmer who has only used MS from 98 to Vista, so it may take a little time to get to grips with this, but interesting all the same. By the way how do you find the spell checker this shows what you have mis-spelt but not how to correct the error, I am dyslectic taken me five minuits to find that in the dictionary, as I cannot find that in the toolbar. But once thanks for the help.
    What application are you using?
    The Text Editor, or maybe Firefox Web Browser?

Edit: I, too, couldn't survive without a spell-checker, I'm always writing "Web Broswer"!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thumbs down Re: Just started tonight

Thanks everyone for the help you have all been very helpful, to an old man this is a good and friendly site thanks everyoneand I am enjoying the posts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Welcome man! Once you get going you'll love it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast