Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Linux support for TomTom Home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Linux support for TomTom Home

My GF has one (I can read maps, thank you) and find it horrid that there is no possibility of even a kludge to get this thing working in Ubuntu!

It's an XL 325SE, and I just sent an email to them to suggest thad since "many users are finding Microsoft's security and licensing issues untolerable, Ubuntu Linux with the various Windows emulators has provided near 90% coverage of all Win apps."
    Ubuntu 16.04-Dell P390,Pentium D 3.4G,4G R,NVIDIA GT360
    Ubuntu 16.04-Dell DE520,Pentium D 2.80G, 3G R,NVIDIA GeForce9500GT
    Ubuntu 18.04-Dell PM90,Intel T2600 2.1G,4G R,NVIDIA Quadro FX 500M
    Ubuntu 18.04-HP 15-F233wm,Celeron N3050 1.6G,4G R,Intel HD

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Linux support for TomTom Home

Please affiliate at this group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=...07059599320763 thanks!

FB should be the right way for solving this!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by jumplinuxforum View Post
    Please affiliate at this group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=...07059599320763 thanks!

FB should be the right way for solving this!

Facebook is for teenagers, poseurs and the easily amused ("Ooh ooh, look at me and comment on what I just did!") Please don't encourage the migration from real open communication to this self-inflated one-way medium.

And yes I had a FB page for a few months; I abandoned it. (For example, how can you equally have everyone at the same level of awareness and interest without offending or boring - that's why some of us are only "casual friends.")
    Ubuntu 16.04-Dell P390,Pentium D 3.4G,4G R,NVIDIA GT360
    Ubuntu 16.04-Dell DE520,Pentium D 2.80G, 3G R,NVIDIA GeForce9500GT
    Ubuntu 18.04-Dell PM90,Intel T2600 2.1G,4G R,NVIDIA Quadro FX 500M
    Ubuntu 18.04-HP 15-F233wm,Celeron N3050 1.6G,4G R,Intel HD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by abou ali View Post
    If ppl, like me, who don't own a Sat Nav yet, but considering to have one that has support for a Linux (ubuntu) version of the Desktop Kit, where should I send an email?

I think my case would be considered even more favourably from TomTom, as they didn't get my money yet.. and to be honest, if some other maker provide a Linux kit, I'll go for the other brand... so they have advantage in providing support for Linux quickly.
    I actually do own a Garmin SatNav but, despite repeated requests, Garmin apparently have no interest in providing any support at all for Linux users.

This means that I am unable to update the Garmin map data - I have been "Linux only" for years now and have no access to a Windows system.

Garmin and TomTom etc please take note that when I do replace my SatNav it will be with one that has Linux support!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Unhappy Re: Linux support for TomTom Home

Quote Originally Posted by Zill View Post
    <snip>
    Garmin and TomTom etc please take note that when I do replace my SatNav it will be with one that has Linux support!
    Please let us know when you do find a GPS device manufacturer that supports Linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wink Re: Linux support for TomTom Home

I own a TT 930, and I've contacted the TT support in both ways.
    One as a user that already owns a TT, the other (with a newly registered user) as user converted to Linux who is willing to buy a TT 930.

Let's see to who will they answer first, and what will be the answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is the response I received from TomTom support:-

Dear Daniel,

The reference number for your query is XXXXXX-XXXXXX.

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support. My name is Sophia and we are always happy to help.

Please provide me an opportunity to assist you.

Let me assure you that I will serve my best to resolve this query.

I truly understand your concern regarding operating TomTom device on Linux.

At TomTom we do try to provide the best qualitative TomTom services and TomTom products to our valued customer.

But unfortunately we do not yet have any TomTom Home application which can be installed on Linux (Ubuntu).

It may be the case in the future we will have TomTom Home for Linux operating system.

Please view our website regularly for updates.

You can also register to receive our Email Newsletter by logging onto your account via the website and click on Support -> My Profile and then tick the options for 'Newsletter categories'.

The maps that we currently have available can be found by clicking on the link below:-
    http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/

We have passed your query on to our product management team as we like to have customer feedback and are very much concerned to know our customers interested in.

You have also stated that you do not want to work on Windows; however we have TomTom Home application currently available for Windows and MAC operating system.

Please bear with us.

We require your patience and support on this.

As you are our valued customer, we always believe in serving you with best and quality TomTom services.

Thank you for your valuable time and for giving me an opportunity to assist you.

With Kind Regards

Sophia
    The TomTom Customer Care Team

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by danellisuk View Post
    This is the response I received from TomTom support:-
    Quote:

...You have also stated that you do not want to work on Windows; however we have TomTom Home application currently available for Windows and MAC operating system.

Sophia
    The TomTom Customer Care Team
    Thanks for the update danellisuk. It's good to know that TomTom think all we have to do is buy a Mac...

Beans

Hello. Sorry for digging out this old stuff but I thought the topic is as up-to-date as it was during its creation.
    I just bought a TomTom VIA 135 and guess what... couldn't mount it with my Linux (Mandriva 2010).
    Google led me to this thread, so I signed the petition and wrote the above suggested email to the TomTom support.
    As a german proverb says: "Hope is the last to die".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Don't apologise, Tomtom should be the ones apologising. Instead they're being shown up for the leeches they are. Take GPL for their own profit and give nothing back.
    Bazzer

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234