Thread: [SOLVED] The other KDE

Beans

[SOLVED] The other KDE

I finished downloading and installing KDE 4.1 (Woo!), but now I still have all the KDE 3.x stuff now and I don't need them since I have the KDE4 versions. Should I, and How do I get rid of them?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by metacognition; September 20th, 2008 at 09:56 PM.
    Tarball? That must be hard as hell to throw.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: The other KDE

Try pasting this into the terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove amarok amarok-xine ark arts brltty cdrdao desktop-effects-kde digikam dmz-cursor-theme dolphin enscript foomatic-db-gutenprint gdebi-core gdebi-kde gtk-qt-engine gwenview hpijs-ppds ijsgutenprint k3b kaffeine kamera katapult kate kbstate kcontrol kcron kde-guidance kde-guidance-powermanager kde-icons-mono kde-style-qtcurve kde-systemsettings kdeadmin-kfile-plugins kdebase-data kdebluetooth kdegraphics-kfile-plugins kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdenetwork-filesharing kdenetwork-kfile-plugins kdepasswd kdeprint kdm kdnssd keep kfind kghostview kicker kio-apt kio-locate kio-umountwrapper kipi-plugins klipper kmag kmailcvt kmenuedit kmilo kmix kmousetool kmplayer-base kmplayer-konq-plugins knetworkconf konq-plugins konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konversation kooka kopete kpdf kpf kppp krdc krfb kscreensaver ksmserver ksnapshot ksvg ksysguard ksysguardd ksystemlog ktorrent kubuntu-desktop kvkbd kwalletmanager kwin-style-crystal libakode2 libao2 libarts1-akode libbrlapi0.5 libflac++6 libgadu3 libgpod-common libgpod3-nogtk libifp4 libijs-0.35 libjpeg-progs libk3b2 libkbluetooth0 libkcddb1 libkdcraw3 libkexiv2-3 libkipi0 libkscan1 libmeanwhile1 libmtp7 libnjb5 libopenobex1 libpoppler-qt2 libpythonize0 libqt-perl libraw1394-8 librsync1 libruby1.8 libsamplerate0 libsearchclient0 libsgutils1 libsmokeqt1 libstrigihtmlgui0 libvisual-0.4-0 perl-suid poster psutils pykdeextensions python-dev python-kde3 python2.5-dev qca-tls rdesktop rdiff-backup ruby ruby1.8 strigi-applet vorbis-tools xcursor-themes && sudo apt-get install kubuntu-kde4-desktop

Beans

Question Re: The other KDE

Thanks, it works but now the menu has no more icons. They're all folders, is that normal?

Beans

What does your main menu now show? Does it contain any programs at all - eg. konqueror, dolphin, gwenview, or konsole...
    Make sure you have logged out and back in, after performing such a large uninstall of packages.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by metacognition View Post
    Thanks, it works but now the menu has no more icons. They're all folders, is that normal?
    Can you post a screenshot of your menu?

Beans

I did a restart and it's all good now. Apparently after the uninstall, it was still riding on KDE 3.x

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

By the way, the way I found the solution to this was...

I started the Kubuntu KDE 4 Remix live CD session. I typed in
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    and instead of actually going through with the installation, I just copied and pasted all the new packages that would be added to KDE 4 if I were to install KDE 3.*

Then I tacked on
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-kde4-desktop
    just in case something got accidentally removed.