Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Songs are on the iPod but won't show up...

Beans

Re: Songs are on the iPod but won't show up...

I can't get Rhythmbox to see my iPod and I just tried manually setting the FirewireGuid but it still doesn't see the songs....

Update: I just Deleted my whole iPod_Control directory and rebuilt it creating another SysInfo file and it still will not see the songs...
    Last edited by RudiePoo; September 20th, 2008 at 03:50 AM.

Beans

I just tried switching over to Amarok and I was able to add the iPod and add music to it but it still doesn't see it...

Beans

Alright, this is getting really frustrating.... I mounted my iPod and opened up my terminal and entered:
    Code:
    sudo lsusb -v | grep -i Serial
    And I got this for the output:
    Code:
      iSerial                 3 d14af04050950205a404041764a013fa8f73c0d4
      iSerial                 1 0000:00:0b.1
      iSerial                 0 
      iSerial                 1 0000:00:0b.0
    I opened my SysInfo file found in /media/ipod/iPod_Control/Device and edited it to look like:
    Code:
    ModelNumStr: xA623
    FirewireGuid: 0xd14af04050950205
    And the iPod still continues to not see my music...

Beans

If you can't sync files yet, grab the latest libgpod from SVN or get libgpod 0.6.0 and compile it, install it and finally compile Amarok against it.
    Did you try this yet?

Beans

What does it mean by compile Amarok against it? I installed libgpod-0.6.0 and then installed Amarok, but it didn't seem to help...
    Last edited by RudiePoo; September 22nd, 2008 at 03:49 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RudiePoo View Post
    What does it mean by compile Amarok against it? I installed libgpod-0.6.0 and then installed Amarok, but it didn't seem to help...
    I haven't done this myself, but from compiling other programs I'm guessing that they want you to download the development libraries of libgpod-0.6.0, and then downloading/compiling amarok, which would then use the latest libgpod libraries while compiling. (hint: sudo apt-get install build-essential and sudo apt-get build-dep amaroK).

But the iPod classic has been out for a while now, along with the fix to keep the database from locking up. I'd imagine that there is a precompiled binary out there, or some better solution than compiling amarok.

Beans

But would the songs not showing up on my iPod be a problem with Amarok? I can add songs to my iPod fine and it comes up in Amarok fine, just when I go to listen to the songs on my iPod they don't show up, but I know they're there because I can see them when it's connected to Amarok...

Beans

Yes. If you had read the article I posted, you'd notice the problem is with the iPod itself. I don't think this isn't a "corruption" issue, or a misbehaving program not correctly adding songs to your iPod. This is an intentional lockout feature by Apple.

From what I understand of it, on the new iPod's they take a hash of the database, and if any program modifies the database (e.g. amarok, rhythmbox) without recomputing the hash, when you go to use your iPod it will refuse to play or even see your music (you can notice it's still there, because it doesn't actually delete your music, just refuses to see it).

I bought my iPod classic right when it came out. Synced a movie to it, brought it to my sister's Ubuntu machine and simply copied the movie to my sister's hard drive. Didn't add music/sync/nothing besides that (opened amarok to find the movie). And suddenly my iPod is telling me I have 30 GB's used but absolutely no songs.

The only thing I'm concerned about is that they figured out the hash issue a while ago (before 8.04 ubuntu I'm pretty sure), and why hasn't Amarok/Ubuntu been upgraded? There should be a ton of threads out there with this same issue...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dfreer View Post
    Yes. If you had read the article I posted, you'd notice the problem is with the iPod itself. I don't think this isn't a "corruption" issue, or a misbehaving program not correctly adding songs to your iPod. This is an intentional lockout feature by Apple.
    Yes, I understood that. In other threads I've read, it seems like the solution was to manually put in the FirewireGiud into the SysInfo file, which I've done. That seemed to fix it for most people... I ended up restoring my iPod with iTunes and then modding it again and trying to get it to work with Ubuntu again, but I get the same thing, no songs.... However, I did notice that the FirewireGuid had an 'n' at the end of it making the whole string 19 characters (including the '0x'). Which I thought was kind of strange since if I do
    Code:
    sudo lsusb -v | grep -i Serial
    I get
    Code:
    d14af04050950205a404041764a013fa8f73c0d4
    So the next character would be an 'a'. There is no 'n' in the string... I tried removing the 'n' but it didn't seem to help....

Beans

Hey, I know this is an old post, but I am having the same exact issue as you and have been all over the web trying everything I can find to fix it. Did you ever find a way to get it to work?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12