Thread: adding XP to a linux dual boot system

Beans

adding XP to a linux dual boot system

hi
    I am currently dual booting ubuntu/ mint but wish to triple boot with a small XP partition too(for Word and games that I cannot get to run in Linux)
    I have the cdroms for all three os
    What is the best way to approach this process?
    Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: adding XP to a linux dual boot system

if you isntall windows, it is going to write grub off and replace it with its own MBR.

you can either use a supergrub cd to reisntall it, or reinstall one of mint or ubuntu partitions, which would also install grub.

my 23 cents

Beans

I am not an expert on the matter, but Ubuntu has the best dectection of other operating systems (of the 3 mentioned), so I suggest you install Xp, then mint, and finally Ubuntu. Ubuntu will see the others and will set up GRUB with the choices

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As you already have mint/ubuntu installed things will be a little bit more difficult as windows prefers the first partition of the first hard drive. Need to know more information such as how many hard drives you have, present partitions etc as windows will not boot from within a logical partition. Post the output of
    sudo fdisk - lu
    Suspect you may have to shift some partitions around with gparted, install windows and then reinstall grub, but others may know of an easier way.
    Windows is the best virus detector on the market!
    Ubuntu attracts Human Beings - Windows attracts viruses and worms

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bumanie View Post
    As you already have mint/ubuntu installed things will be a little bit more difficult as windows prefers the first partition of the first hard drive. Need to know more information such as how many hard drives you have, present partitions etc as windows will not boot from within a logical partition. Post the output of Suspect you may have to shift some partitions around with gparted, install windows and then reinstall grub, but others may know of an easier way.
    Actually, I believe that Windows will install to any primary partition without much trouble, and one of the forum members meierfra even figured out how to boot Windows XP or Vista from a logical partiton; but of course I certainly wouldn't recommend it if you can install Windows to a primary partition instead.

Beans

Well, start by looking at this guide:

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_l...rst.htm?page=1

What you'll want to pay special attention to is the repartitioning and then restoring grub.

If you'd post a screenshot of Gparted (akaartition Editor) I'd be willing to make some suggestions. If so also post the output of:

Code:
     sudo fdisk -l
    NOTE: That's a lower case L, not a one!

I have Win XP, Hardy, and Mint Elyssa:

Screenshot--dev-sda - GParted.png

As far as restoring grub you just need to know your partition numbers and how grub's numbering system works:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzo...mbering_System

Your actual numbers used to restore grub will be different than what the APC tutorial shows!

Beans

Grub is easily restored if the MBR is overwritten.

After you've installed Windows and have gotten it setup. Insert your Ubuntu LiveCD and boot up into the Live Environment.

Once in, open a terminal and run grub
    Code:
    sudo grub
    You will enter a grub prompt like so
    Code:
    grub>
    First, find out which partition contains the boot information for grub.
    Code:
    find /boot/grub/stage1
    Then set the root partition, the Linux installation with that boot directory in.
    Code:
    root (hd0,0)
    With that done, tell grub to install in your primary MBR.
    Code:
    setup (hd0)
    And you are done. Just quit and reboot.

Although, you will need to edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file to include the Windows Installation afterwards.

Regards
    Iain

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tinivole View Post
    First, find out which partition contains the boot information for grub.
    Code:
    find /boot/grub/stage1
    Then set the root partition, the Linux installation with that boot directory in.
    Code:
    root (hd0,0)
    With that done, tell grub to install in your primary MBR.
    Code:
    setup (hd0)
    And you are done. Just quit and reboot.
    I think the above needs maybe a small clarification, tinivole: if you run the Grub commands as you give them, it will reinstall Grub to the MBR and point it to (hd0,0), or sda1, for all its system files (menu.lst, etc). But we can't say for sure that the Linux partition is on sda1, so that is the purpose of that "find" command that you gave before doing the "root" and "setup" commands. The find command should tell you which partition has Grub's stage1 file, assuming that stage1 is in the /boot/grub directory of some partition; from that we assume that all of Grub's other files are in the same directory. Sometimes people have a /boot partition, and in that case the Grub files are actually located in /grub and not /boot/grub. So for that possibility, you would have to search using:
    Code:
    find /grub/stage1

Beans

Hi guys...
    I tried this way before and it worked with me but it give u the same list of OSs that u have before . so
    is there any way to reinstall grub to add new OSs to the list
    thank u very much

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by abdulkrem View Post
    Hi guys...
    I tried this way before and it worked with me but it give u the same list of OSs that u have before . so
    is there any way to reinstall grub to add new OSs to the list
    thank u very much
    If you want to add new OSes to your Grub menu, you have to modify your /boot/grub/menu.lst. If you need help with that, first post:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu