Thread: 64 bit guest on 32 bit host OS with 64 bit AMB processor?

Beans

64 bit guest on 32 bit host OS with 64 bit AMB processor?

is it possible, host is windows vista which despite not being supported by vmware server works fine. does the host 32 bit kernel make 64 bit not work? do i have to upgrade both to 64 bit?

ps i hate vista but its not my computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: 64 bit guest on 32 bit host OS with 64 bit AMB processor?

try it and find out. vmware seems to support 64 bit guests on 32 bit host, but i would imagine that performance would be poor.
    Why can't life have a sudo apt-get install -f command?
    Install VMWare Server 2 on a text-only system
    Need help getting your printer working in Linux?
    It's all about choice, right? Then stop flaming Windows users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

That's an odd situation, but like the previous poster said you can try. The main reason for a 64-bit OS is to access a have access to more memory then a 32-bit OS. Of course there are other benefits to a 64-bit OS, but not most regular desktops. JMHO.
    XPS-420 Core 2 Q6600 2.4GHz 6.0GB, Nvidia 512MB 8800GT, 250GB Raid 1, BluRay, 8.04 64-bit.
    Dimension 8400 Pentium 4HT 3.0GHz 3GB, Nvidia 512MB 8600GT, 80GB Raid 1, 8.10.
    Inspiron 8500 Pentium 4M 2.2GHz 1.5GB, 9.04 & XP Pro.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by lazyart View Post
    try it and find out. vmware seems to support 64 bit guests on 32 bit host, but i would imagine that performance would be poor.
    It wouldn't be virtualization, it would be emulation. VMware products are virtualization products, they are unable to operate at a different cpu then that which is present in the host system.

Programs, such as the old virtual pc, for MAC, was an emulator which emulated the x86 chipset on a Macintosh power pc. They where able to do so, but at a very high cost in the way of performance. There are products out there, which can run a 64bit guest os on a 32bit host, but they are using emulation, not virtualization. Virtualization requires the native hardware to be present to "share", compared to emulation which allows the software to generate any needed hardware, from a atari gaming system emulator to an iphone emulator.

Hope this makes it a little more clear,
    Bradford Knowlton
    http://x86v.com

Beans

The real question is weather vmware virtualization is done at the hardware or software level (kernel vs user). It isnt neccicarily emulation if there is 64 bit hardware bradmkjr.

some of it certainly is done at the kernel level and therefore could use 64 bit even if the host did not, but does the host kernel make this 64 bit virtualization impossible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My Vista laptop is using AMD Turon64 x2.
    I have VMWare Server 1.0.7 installed with a 8.04 64bit VM.
    It's 'working' except that I can't make a connection with the laptop's wireless card - so no internet.
    Having to use Firefox on Vista in the meantime!
    Echo

Beans

i am in a similar situation. at work i can't install another os, however maybe i can do vmware and ubuntu 64.

i want to use blender, kerkythea, indigo, voodoo - all those programs that work better in linux and even better in 64 bit...

...will i see a performance advantage on the vmware?

we have:
    xp professional
    amd 64bit athlon x2