Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No wireless after upgrade?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

No wireless after upgrade?

I have a Latitude D830 and did an upgrade from Hardy, I have an Intel 4965AGN wireless card and can't seem to get any connection. if I do an ifconfig I have a wlan0 and if I do lspci I can see the wireless card.

When I first booted into Intrepid I did not have the network monitor in the top panel, when I added it I only had lo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: No wireless after upgrade?

Anyone know?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I did a fresh install of Intrepid alpha6. Network-manager was buggy (listed each connection twice [ironic in light of your problem]) (and it gave me a hassle trying to connect.) It seems to work ok overall though.

I have an intel 3945ABG, which uses the same basic driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Bump!

I have this exact problem as well. My computer see that my wireless exists but it makes no effort to find any wireless connections. I upgraded a couple days ago into Ibex. and I really don't want to have to do a fresh install to get this to work.

/Bump!
    I know kung fu. | Thinkpad T61

Beans

We've been having this issue at work most of today. I think we've found a fix which involves editing /etc/network/interfaces and removing all lines except those which start with "auto" (so leave "auto eth0" "auto eth1" "auto wlan0" etc.) AND edit /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf and change it to read:

[main]
    plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
    managed=true

then reboot. You should then have an nm-applet which detects and allows connection to wireless (and wired) ethernet. Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Jove View Post
    We've been having this issue at work most of today. I think we've found a fix which involves editing /etc/network/interfaces and removing all lines except those which start with "auto" (so leave "auto eth0" "auto eth1" "auto wlan0" etc.) AND edit /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf and change it to read:

[main]
    plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
    managed=true

then reboot. You should then have an nm-applet which detects and allows connection to wireless (and wired) ethernet. Good luck!
    In my /etc/network/interface file there was no "auto eth0, auto wlan0" so I added them and removed everything else. I rebooted and still no Wireless Networks.
    (For the pessimistics out there, where I currently am there are at least 5 separate wireless networks that I could find when Hardy was on my system.)

Thank you for the advice though.

Beans

Did you edit /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Did you edit /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf ?
    my entire nm-system-settings.conf file --

[main]
    plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
    managed=true

as recommended by your earlier post. should there be more in it than what i have?

Beans

Actually, there was one further thing we had to do. Have a look in /var/log/syslog for messages about missing firmware. If you find them, copy the firmware file referred to from an earlier kernel into /lib/firmware/<kernel-release>

Beans

Actually, there was one further thing we had to do. Have a look in /var/log/syslog for messages about missing firmware. If you find them, copy the firmware file referred to from an earlier kernel into /lib/firmware/<kernel-release>
    Yup, that solved my problem with rt61 firmware missing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast