Thread: Any advanced/unkown XP performance tweaks out there?

Beans

Smile Any advanced/unkown XP performance tweaks out there?

TL: DR? Read bold parts only.

I have been using XP for quite a long time and learned a lot about it.
    I mean a lot.

First I was a total newb and even got viruses and things like that. I reinstalled XP a lot of times.
    I started first from simple things like MSCONFIG and Visual Settings.
    I then went on to Services and learned alot about them.
    Then applied a mass amounts of registry tweaks.
    I had an old AMD3000+, 1GB 333Mhz DDR, and a 6600 and wanted to play Bioshock at good FPS.
    So I started tweaking further...

Turns out running XP below 120MB was a challenge followed by running XP below 70MB. But I managed to get it to run without UI, at like 48MB, and 52 with UI and 20MB without drivers. Then I had to reinstall for that time I removed to much of Windows itself for anything else then SP gaming. :\

Anyway, I am trying to optimize my Windows for performance again, without removing most features - just disabling them. I already applied many tweaks, regedits, NTFS tweaks, and stuff.

Any advanced tweaks you could recommend me? Like things that are not at all common but really awesome?
    I am currently thinking of deleting multi-user environment in XP to speed up boot by making some major changed in the registry. And also for 32-bit environment I am thinking about reshacking the dlls and exes to modify and remove useless items and pictures as well as add some items. This will be a major undertaking, anyone have any tips aside from backup?

Beans

Re: Any advanced/unkown XP performance tweaks out there?

You seem to be in a similar situation to where I was about a year ago.

A bit of advice: don't bother for performance, those beyond the standard will get you so little extra performance you will not be able to see it without benchmark numbers.

I personally have gotten XP to be responsive and quick on a P120MMX with 32MB ram. If XP tweaked well without what you are speaking of can run well on such an old system, then there is no real need in my opinion to do further tweaks then the standard ones (turning off all unwanted services, et cetra).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

as far as I'm concerned it seems that you'll manage to cripple your system. XP without GUI? drivers? what's the purpose of that? we're not in 2000, when we could only dream of 256 mb ram on the desktop?
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Not sure if it can be classed as advanced or even unknown but how about using nlite to re-master your own streamlined install disks?
    Anytime i`m asked to re-install windows for someone i always make them up a nice bootable,slipstreamed iso to take away...just so long as they have a product key in the first place of course

Then again you`ve probably ripped out more already than the nlite program ever could
    http://ubuntuclips.org/videos/4

For the lazy readers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xpod View Post
    Then again you`ve probably ripped out more already than the nlite
    I assumed this, to be honest, didn't think of mentioning nLite. That is the easiest method to tweak windows for performance, before installing it.