Thread: Ubuntu doesn't boot after installing windows xp

Beans

Ubuntu doesn't boot after installing windows xp

I installed xp on a seperate hard drive. Then I download an ext2 driver for xp (ext2ifs) so I can copy my music onto itunes (the only reason I'm on windows). After getting my music into my ipod, I restart my computer and the usual ubuntu startup doesn't happen. I check my bios boot options, and it's set up right. I check my cables and such, all good there. I tried to boot without the hard drive xp is on and I get a no boot drive detected or something along those lines. Not sure what I did, but I think it has something to do with the ext2 driver. I didn't delete any files in the ubuntu drive, just copied 3 gb of music onto the windows drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu doesn't boot after installing windows xp

Quote Originally Posted by Higatron View Post
    I installed xp on a seperate hard drive. Then I download an ext2 driver for xp (ext2ifs) so I can copy my music onto itunes (the only reason I'm on windows). After getting my music into my ipod, I restart my computer and the usual ubuntu startup doesn't happen. I check my bios boot options, and it's set up right. I check my cables and such, all good there. I tried to boot without the hard drive xp is on and I get a no boot drive detected or something along those lines. Not sure what I did, but I think it has something to do with the ext2 driver. I didn't delete any files in the ubuntu drive, just copied 3 gb of music onto the windows drive.
    XP might have overwriten your MBR therefore... GRUB of Ubuntu was damaged/deleted...
    ~humanity to everyone and everything~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I agree with jemate18. The Windows install hosed up grub. Have a look here for a fix:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

FWIW, there are a number of Ubuntu-native apps that can transfer music to an iPod. Amaraok and GTKPod come to mind. I'm pretty sure that Banshee and Exaile have iPod support as well.

Beans

instead of installing windows just for iTunes, you could just try a variety of different Media Players available for linux. The default one in ubuntu is Rhythmbox, which has iPod support built-in

also a great alternative for iTunes in Linux is Songbird.

They are very similar and it also has iPod support!!!

http://getsongbird.com/

it also lets you browse the internet at the same time!!!!

Use this link for the simplest install on ubuntu:
    http://www.getdeb.net/release/3116
    Last edited by gnrathon; September 19th, 2008 at 05:22 AM.