Thread: Joystick mis-detected as Mouse, causes crashes.

Beans

Joystick mis-detected as Mouse, causes crashes.

Well guys, I need some help, and I don't know where else to get it. My joypad (it's been a good joypad) won't detect any more as a joystick. It's a Play-Station style USB pad, and it has 15 buttons, a D-pad, and two thumb pads. (grand total of 15 buttons and 6 axises, 4 of which are analog)

Every time I press a button, it causes X to crash, and often not nicely. This used to not be the case, but something changed in a recent update to my Intrepid install (Hardy won't work for me, I have an Intel GM965 on my laptop that Hardy really doesn't like to work with, and Intrepid comes with more/better developed drivers for my laptop to boot)

This is what Xorg says.

(**) Jess Tech GGE909 PC Recoil Pad: Device: "/dev/input/event2"
    (II) Jess Tech GGE909 PC Recoil Pad: Found x and y absolute axes
    (II) Jess Tech GGE909 PC Recoil Pad: Found 1 mouse buttons
    (II) Jess Tech GGE909 PC Recoil Pad: Configuring as mouse
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Jess Tech GGE909 PC Recoil Pad" (type: MOUSE)
    (**) Jess Tech GGE909 PC Recoil Pad: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
    (**) Jess Tech GGE909 PC Recoil Pad: EmulateWheelButton: 4, EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
    Something seemed wrong here, and being the inquisitive type, i looked around for why "evdev" was giving this odd information. I tried to play around with the xorg.conf, but it still detected it as a mouse, even after trying to force the "joystick" driver. It's now set to the default again, seeing as how it didn't help any.

when I boot up with it plugged in, it mentions something about config/hal (?) which seems to be telling evdev what to do about it.

I shouldn't have to tinker with my xorg.conf; and seeing as how USB device locations (i've seen it detected anywhere from /dev/input/event2 to /dev/input/event8) change a lot, I'm really hesitant to have to reboot multiple times just to plug it in.

How do I tell HAL what to do about this? Hopefully something can be done this way...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Joystick mis-detected as Mouse, causes crashes.

moved to Intrepid Ibex forum.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Please refer to the contributing to intrepid link in my sig. In particular there is wiki documentation that will help you debug this problem.
    He that will not reason is a bigot; he that cannot reason is a fool; he that dares not reason is a slave.

Beans

I have this exact same bug under Intrepid. I can't figure out where to report it though since it could be caused by any number of packages.

Beans

I have a Logitech joypad too, and the effects I have are the same: X crashes on button pressure and the stick (and the arrow pad) can control the mouse.

Here is part of my /var/log/messages file

Code:
    Oct  3 23:28:36 hp kernel: [  957.328151] usb 1-1: new full speed USB device usi
    ng uhci_hcd and address 4
    Oct  3 23:28:36 hp kernel: [  957.504447] usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    Oct  3 23:28:36 hp kernel: [  957.514318] input: PS3/USB Corded Gamepad as /class/input/input10
    Oct  3 23:28:36 hp kernel: [  957.564250] input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.11 Gamepad [PS3/USB Corded Gamepad] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-1
    Oct  3 23:29:21 hp bonobo-activation-server (mark-9551): could not associate with desktop session: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-XFmoA3jKYA: Connection refused
    When I plug in the pad I correctly find a new char device/dev/input called js0... but I cannot use it

Should I file a bug somewhere? let me know pls

Marco

Beans

having the same problem after upgrading to Intrepid last night, pressing any button on my usb joystick kills x

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Looks like this bug if anyone has anything they can add
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ck/+bug/274203
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2 X 1TB, 1 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

The bug which caused X to crash has been fixed, but my joypad is still detected as a mouse by X. We have been advised in that bug to file a new bug report for each joypad which does not work. I don't agree with that considering that this bug affects a wide number of joypads, but that is what we have been told to do.

This is my bug report for my Mad Catz controller. I just hope this gets fixed before Intrepid becomes final:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ck/+bug/285609