Thread: Anybdy else having trouble with Gigabyte Motherboards?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Angry Anybdy else having trouble with Gigabyte Motherboards?

Old October 13th, 2007 #1
    leeping
    First Cup of Ubuntu

Ubuntu won't boot on simple hardware configuration
    Dear community,

I've tried time and again to install Ubuntu on my new computer. I did a successful network install of Feisty (7.04) which bootstraps off of a USB pen drive. However, when I restart the computer, it doesn't even attempt to boot from the hard drive; the computer will output "Verifying DMI Pool Data..." and hang indefinitely. I've tried swapping out the hard drive, RAM, and motherboard with identical ones, and none worked. Can someone please offer a suggestion?

My hardware is:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850
    RAM: 4x1GB Kingston DDR2 533
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R
    HD: Western Digital 300GB SATA
    leeping is offline Report Post
    This is not good. I have a similar Gigabyte Mobo, and I refuse to use Vista Ultimate the rest of my young life. Can someone help here? I'm not afraid of CLI/Terminal. I can't get past the 'resize hdd' install option on my PC! I've used usb pendrives, UNetbootin, Wubi, Cd-roms.... HELP! Is this another thing like the Foxconn scandal?
    Last edited by Truefire; September 17th, 2008 at 04:16 PM.
    Visit my site at https://truefla.me/ or follow me on Twitter: @Truefire_

My main machine is a HP DM4-1265dx laptop, though I do have a custom gaming/media desktop as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Anybdy else having trouble with Gigabyte Motherboards?

Does it have an AMI BIOS by chance? I ask because the foxconn scandal turned out to be that foxconn was using AMI BIOS and (unknowingly to them) AMI was sabotaging their own BIOS'es in accordance to M$ orders.
    "Some people says that if you run a Microsoft Midori iso backwards you will hear demon voices commanding you to worship Satan". But that's nothing. If you run it forward it will install Microsoft Midori.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Anybdy else having trouble with Gigabyte Motherboards?

Hmm... I'm not sure. How could I tell? I'm pretty sure it's Vista doing it now, though, after I read the log. It said the hdd formating was corrupt, but fdisk said that wasn't the case.

My main machine is a HP DM4-1265dx laptop, though I do have a custom gaming/media desktop as well.

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs up Re: Anybdy else having trouble with Gigabyte Motherboards?

Actually works fine, it was Windows. I'm now dual-booting with a second HDD.