Thread: [SOLVED] ned more usb ports!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

[SOLVED] ned more usb ports!!

hey guys,i used a dell xpst500 for my latest build. works great only one problme....lack of usb ports. its only got 2 and they are both in use..

my question is is there a way to add ports?

i bought a 4 port expansion hub but that damn thing wont even charge my little bluetooth headset. is there anykind of expansion ports that can be installed in the expansion slots in the back where i put the graphics.sound and linksys wireless adapter??

thanks in advance

jas'
    Ubuntu user#23995,Linux user#479028,linux machine#387481
    LINUX AND LOVI'N IT!!!
    95% of people listen to Rap.If you are part of the other 5% that listens to real music,put this in your signature!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ned more usb ports!!

Quote Originally Posted by crazypenguin2008 View Post
    my question is is there a way to add ports?

i bought a 4 port expansion hub but that damn thing wont even charge my little bluetooth headset.
    Yes, you can get PCI USB cards, cheap, from practically any computer store. Another option you can use is to get a externally powered USB hub (The one you are using now is probably drawing power from the system, but not enough). A USB hub powered with an external power supply will probably be a better choice for you than a PCI expansion card.

As for PCI expansion cards, you can get many varieties: 2-port, 4-port, 6-port, USB+Firewire combo, etc.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

thanks!! im doing a search now...maybe tirger dirrect or newegg carries the externaly powered hubs!!
    LINUX AND LOVI'N IT!!!
    95% of people listen to Rap.If you are part of the other 5% that listens to real music,put this in your signature!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

got a 4 port externaly powered i-rocks alumnimium hub on the way!!
    LINUX AND LOVI'N IT!!!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by prshah View Post
    Yes, you can get PCI USB cards, cheap, from practically any computer store. Another option you can use is to get a externally powered USB hub (The one you are using now is probably drawing power from the system, but not enough). A USB hub powered with an external power supply will probably be a better choice for you than a PCI expansion card.

As for PCI expansion cards, you can get many varieties: 2-port, 4-port, 6-port, USB+Firewire combo, etc.
    And go for USB 2.0 if you can: I moved a 2-port PCI card from a broken down machine into a machine running XP, and forgot that it was USB 1.1 - when I plugged in a couple of accessories I was surpised to get a notification bubvle from Windows saying that the accessories would benefit from using one of the pre-intalled USB 2.0 ports. I now use the card mainly for my two printers.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog