Thread: Samba worked, then stopped working, then started working, then stopped again.

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!

[SOLVED]Samba worked, then stopped working, then started working, then stopped again.

I have no idea what is going on. I had samba working with different shares and users. Then, after a reboot (for ftp reasons, not touching samba at all) when I tried to log on from xp the log on window just flashed. I tried it four times with different user names. I tried rebooting all the clients. Then I rebooted the server, restarted samba and it worked. After about an hour it started doing the same thing. FTP and SSH are still working fine. I also tried rebooting the samba service many times too.

Here is the smb.conf even though there is nothing on it.
    Code:
    [global]
    workgroup = STONE
    netbios name = Server
    encrypt passwords = yes
    security = user
    wins support = yes

[homes]
    read only = no
    browseable = no
    Also, "browseable" = no never did work. I had to change the directory permissions via chmod. I'm running the latest ubuntu server release.
    Last edited by jacensolo; September 20th, 2008 at 06:19 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Samba worked, then stopped working, then started working, then stopped again.

You're wasting a lot of time rebooting, most of the services are located in /etc/init.d to restart a service for example samba in a terminal type:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
    This is especially helpful if you make changes to the network configuration when you are access the server through ssh.

As for your Samba problem do run testparm after making changes to /etc/samba/smb.conf, testparm will show you if there are any mistakes in your configuration file.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Samba worked, then stopped working, then started working, then stopped again.

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    You're wasting a lot of time rebooting, most of the services are located in /etc/init.d to restart a service for example samba in a terminal type:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
    This is especially helpful if you make changes to the network configuration when you are access the server through ssh.

As for your Samba problem do run testparm after making changes to /etc/samba/smb.conf, testparm will show you if there are any mistakes in your configuration file.
    But it originally stopped working when I didn't make any changes. I had made changes to the proftpd.conf and didn't know how to restart it like samba so I rebooted. Now Samba doesn't work.

I ran testparm and it said it was ok.

Any other clue?
    Last edited by jacensolo; September 17th, 2008 at 09:12 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

It was working last night, but I don't know why it stopped.

If I can get to it by going \\servername\share and it connects, it works. But most of the time I can't connect and I have to put the /share at the end. But that never works because the login windows just reappears after typing in the password. I've made sure it is the right one. Does anyone else have an idea?

Right before it stopped working I restarted /etc/init.d, then it quit working.

Beans
    Hidden!

Nobody has an idea?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Have you tried Lanshark on getdeb website? It can share any folder with windows, linux or mac and it actually works very well. Not to hijack the thread just an idea.
    A computer allows you to make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.