Thread: configure ftp user to be excluded from chroot jail (proftpd)

Beans

configure ftp user to be excluded from chroot jail (proftpd)

Hello guys,

once again i am in need of your ever valuable knowledge and while i know the temptation will be to tell me that this is insecure or in some way degrading to my system, please i urge you to only answer the question if you have my solution.

I wish to specify a user the ability to navigate outside of his home directory.

Now, i know of some ways to do this and i'll state what they are and why they dont work for what i am trying to achieve.

i could specify that the directive DefaultRoot ~ is deleted in the conf, but this would allow all users to migrate outside of their home.

I could specify a new home for my user, one that better accomodates where he should be, but then he still would only be navigating inside his home directory.

The bottom line is that i am attempting to have an ftp administrator, one that could have rwx permissions for all the directories i wish him to handle and furthermore this user will have a desktop enviroment to be able to log in locally if he so chooses although ftp is the primary mode of communication.

i wish to use a user i already have set up as my initial user so i dont want to create a new user or a group for my existing user, but add him to one if he has to be for the folders he needs to access...

i know it sounds like the impossible, i am but a lamen, but if any of you free-thinkers out there want to give a stab at this feel free.

PS, i DID google search AND forum search and all the solutions they presented were the 2 i listed above.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: configure ftp user to be excluded from chroot jail (proftpd)

So in short, you want to limit all users except for some users.
    You can do that if you specify a group in which you will add those users, read: http://www.proftpd.org/docs/howto/Chroot.html (hint: 3rd, 4th and 5th paragraphs )

edit: or here: http://www.proftpd.org/docs/directiv...faultRoot.html (check out the example)

You could learn and be more productive if you just read the manual, it really comes in handy when you're using it for server purposes: http://www.proftpd.org/docs/directiv...figuration.pdf
    Last edited by forger; September 16th, 2008 at 11:17 PM.

Beans

i honestly DO appreciate you answering my question directly, however you could have done it without trying to make it seem that my intellect is less than yours. I DID browse through the manual and DID see this portion however mis-interpreted the section where it referenced the tilde, i took it to mean it was going to explain what it mean although i knew what it meant. This has been known to happen inside the human species from time to time.

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You simply haven't written in the post that you have read the manual, you mentioned google and forum search. I'm certainly not a psychic and I was playing safe by pointing you to the right direction.
    I never attacked you personally, nor have I criticised your intellectual level. Maybe it sounded harsh in a very indirect way (which I neglected from my point of view), but interpret it this way: If anything, you won't miss that detail again, you'll always think of that guy that "put you down", which wasn't my intention nor my wish to do that
    Finally, I never said I know anything more than you do, I'm a hobbyist and I like to give back to the community at my spare time. (I have in fact broken several machines through these forums or the IRC chat)

So once again: no offense, just recommending/suggesting.