Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Configuring Acer 6920 Hardware

Beans

Re: Configuring Acer 6920 Hardware

Yes, I also upgraded to Alsa to 1.0.20 and the sound was much better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Same here.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

thaks for your tread

Does anybody else have no sound after upgrading to 9.04
    I've lost sound. and Nvidia drivers
    and nothing I've tried works

can anyone point me in the right direction

Beans

Just a quick question to see if anyone here can help me out, does anyone here know how to get sound working on one of these in Mandriva 2009?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

If anybody is having problems with cinepad or function keys "not responding" , you can use xmodmap -pke, setkeycodes, and dmesg to tell the keys what to do.

for example, i have set the cinepad key that looks like an arrow looping back around to be eject. This key did not do anything by default. Push the key, then go to terminal and do dmesg. It will give you something like the following

delta kernel: [ 1512.573661] atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x83 on isa0060/serio0).
    delta kernel: [ 1512.573667] atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e003 <keycode>' to make it known.

As this says you will use setkeycodes e003 <keycode>, where e003 is the code returned by dmesg (use the code that is returned to you) and <keycode> is the keycode for the function that you want the key to do. To find the keycode you want to map, enter xmodmap -pke into terminal. Read through the list until you find the keycode you need, in this case the keycode for eject is 170. Note that you will have to subtract 8 from the keycode in order for it to map properly (because the codes 0 to 7 are not in the xmodmap -pke list. So the command will be

sudo setkeycodes e003 162

Finally, open system -> preferences -> keyboard shortcuts and make sure that the "Eject" is set to XF86Eject (or whatever function you are trying to set)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Forgot to mention, for those of you using compiz there is a better way to turn it on. Most people add compiz --replace or fusion-icon to System->Preferences->Startup Applications (or session depending on what version you are using, I am on 9.04). When you login this way, metacity begins, and is replaced by compiz as your session loads, causing panels and wallpapers to be drawn twice, giving your screen a flickering effect. To correct this, you have to set compiz to be the default window manager so that it begins at startup.

The proper way to load compiz is to create or edit the text-file ~/.gnomerc so it says "export WINDOW_MANAGER=/usr/bin/compiz". Restart X.

If this doesn't work (it didn't for me), there is an alternative.

Edit the file /usr/share/gnome/wm-properties/compiz.desktop
    and add the following keys:

Type=Application
    X-GNOME-Autostart-Phase=WindowManager
    X-GNOME-Provides=windowmanager

Change the Exec key to
    Exec=gnome-wm

Then change "metacity" to "compiz" in the following gconf keys:
    /desktop/gnome/session/default-session
    /desktop/gnome/session/required-components/windowmanager

http://www.nabble.com/-Cooker--Gnome-2.23-and-compiz-fusion-td18330823.html

Now you must remove any compiz startup you have created for your session, or it will load twice anyways. If you use fusion-icon, switching to metacity may cause a crash (you can still use it for everything else however) so you will need to do two things:

1: Add fusion-icon -n to your startup (this will load fusion-icon without replacing the window manager)
    2: Open Compiz settings manager, enable crash handler plugin, and in this plugins options add metacity --replace underneath "Start other window manager"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sorry i havent been on lately guys been a bit preoccupied.

Anyway, if you've upgraded to 9.04 getting sound is as simple as running this command:

Code:
    sudo echo "options snd-hda-intel model=auto" >> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
    And after you enter it just restart your computer

I already stated this 2 pages back, so please make sure you read the whole thread before you ask any questions.
    Last edited by CJay554; October 20th, 2009 at 02:44 PM.
    When you first dont succeed, google- google again

Beans

This post saved my life in more than one way! Just want other readers to note that running the alsa 1.0.18a setup solved my problems with Intel HDA 8280I (ICH9) sound with a Dell Inspiron 1440.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Update to this great thread for the Acer 6920. I installed Karmic and EVERYTHING but the fingerprint reader works outta the box. I installed cheese from synaptic and my camera works perfect, sound and mic works just fine as well, wireless working better that Vista.

Karmic 9.10 is a GREAT release for the superb Acer 6920!
    FIC K8-800T AMD64 3200+ 2GB PC3200 GeForce 6800GT Mandriva 2010 KDE+Compiz+Emerald
    MSI K9N2GM AMD 9950BE 4GB DDR2-800 GeForce 8200 10.10 WUSB600N
    Acer 6920 Core 2 Duo 4GB GeForce 9500GS 10.04 Ubuntu User #17586

Beans

Yeah, everything is working nicely. The only thing that bugs me is the nvidia/compiz issues, like some buttons not working in flash, java crashes, tearing in compiz animations and etc.

Someone experiencing the same issues?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast