Thread: [SOLVED] how to set up textual and colored boot?

Beans
    Hidden!

Question [SOLVED] how to set up textual and colored boot?

Hello,

I used gentoo once as live disk and i found out that it has really nice boot colors.

My point: i can uninstall usplash but how can i set up some fancy font and colors for text boot up screen? I dont know what to search on google so i can not find sollution to this by myself...

Like debian: when you install netinstall disc and then build up desktop (done it soooooo many times) without usplash and other splash screens. Just simple text but that text was uglly so how can i change colors? I can search on net for gentoo config but i really dont know what to search for.

Please help
    tnx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: how to set up textual and colored boot?

Go to /boot/grub and open the file menu.lst. There is a line commented, which will make the boot text colorful. You can simply remove the comments. It is explained in the file itself. Just be careful with the file, don't change anything that you don't completely understand!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Idefix82 View Post
    Go to /boot/grub and open the file menu.lst. There is a line commented, which will make the boot text colorful. You can simply remove the comments. It is explained in the file itself. Just be careful with the file, don't change anything that you don't completely understand!
    As far as I know, you can only set the colors of the grub menu and not the colors of the boot process in that file. By the way, you don't have to uninstall Usplash if you want to see a textual boot. You can just remove the 'splash' option in the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst. This is an example using my menu.lst file:
    Code:
    title           Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic
    root            (hd0,4)
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic root=UUID=6dcb96a9-cf73-4441-857e-839fccb522a8 ro quiet splash
    initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic
    quiet
    Change it to:
    Code:
    title           Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic
    root            (hd0,4)
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic root=UUID=6dcb96a9-cf73-4441-857e-839fccb522a8 ro quiet
    initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic
    quiet
    To get a textual boot, see this tutorial: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=192675
    Disclaimer: I am currently suffering from severe CSD (Compulsive Sarcasm Disorder).
    My Site | Linux User #452328 | Running Arch Linux on Sony Vaio VGN-SZ61XN/C since October 2008

Beans
    Hidden!

i tried to uncomment that line in grub but there is no change (btw my timeout is 1s and i cant see grub by default :> ). I will try to mess with lsb init. That is the answer to my problem (but i dont know color codes for that script so tnx for link to tutorial).
    Tnx