Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Install Ubuntu on an Asus F6V

Beans

Re: Install Ubuntu on an Asus F6V

Hey guys,

First, great job for ramomamo for starting a thread like this so newbies like me out here can work our ways to the solutions. (F6V'ers)

I followed this thread here: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-916985.html and the problem with sound was fixed without using oss4 which takes a bit of work to setup.

Hope this helps a bit.

I'm still having problems with flashy streaming videos and clips at the moment so if any of you have any ideas, please fire at well and make my (or ours) life easier.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thebearot View Post
    Hey guys,

First, great job for ramomamo for starting a thread like this so newbies like me out here can work our ways to the solutions. (F6V'ers)

I followed this thread here: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-916985.html and the problem with sound was fixed without using oss4 which takes a bit of work to setup.

Hope this helps a bit.

I'm still having problems with flashy streaming videos and clips at the moment so if any of you have any ideas, please fire at well and make my (or ours) life easier.
    hy,
    About the flashy videos and stuff I've experienced the same. After some searches I've found that was a problem with compiz. If you disable it, you won't have that problem..although no fancy effects =\

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks for the OSS thing, it worked great with my asus f6v !
    Even if OSS is not yet compatible with the system sounds, I'm glad I can finally use Ubuntu on my laptop after having tried to set up audio for ages !!

As for flashy video, the problem is indeed related to Compiz.
    But I found a solution better than disabling Compiz each time you want to watch a video !

Open a terminal :
    Code:
    gstreamer-properties
    And in the Video tab , for the default Output choose X Windows System ( no XV )
    This solved the problem with G-streamer based apps just like Totem player and ... Cheese for the webcam

And if you use VLC player you may also need to go in
    Preferences > Video > Output Modules > Advanced Options > Video output module
    and choose X11 instead !

Hope it helps

Beans

Nice! I'll try that
    hey, does any one of you noticed that the laptops battery can only run about 2h or less? In vista I can have it at almost 3h.. Can battery management be enhanced? Ubuntu's Power Manager options seems a bit limited

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, there aren't many options in Ubuntu to save some battery easily and efficiently ...
    I heard about "PowerTOP" ( available in repositories ) for Intel processors which monitors a Linux system and gives suggestions on reducing power consumption
    Maybe it worths give it a try...

Anyway, I would like to know if the internal mic is working for someone ?
    I'm using OSS which works fine except for recording...
    Maybe it works with ALSA ?

I'd really like to be able to use the mic and not having to switch to Vista when I want to use Skype T_T ...

Beans
    Distro

Okay, after tweaking some options in ossxmix, I finally got my internal mic and any jack-in mic to work for recording ( tested it with gnome-sound-recorder, audacity and Skype ! )

And it was rather simple, I can't believe I haven't done it before T_T

If someone using OSS is interested, here is what I modified :

Check in gnome-sound-properties that you have OSS4 -HD Audio rec mix enabled for Sound Capture :

Mic should work after you set, in ossxmix, int-mic in input mode.
    Don't forget to check on the mix-mute option for your front output, unless you want to have some very unpleasant high-pitched noise !!

And the microphone seems to work better with Skype in Intrepid than Vista

Now my only problem unsolved on my Asus F6V is about the flickering video with Compiz activated, in some application where I can't change video output mode...( such as Skype... )
    Hope that new ATI drivers will fix this in the future...
    Last edited by Kaho; March 4th, 2009 at 04:40 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12