Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install Ubuntu on an Asus F6V

Beans

Lightbulb Install Ubuntu on an Asus F6V

When I first installed (yesterday) Ubuntu Hardy (8.04) on this laptop I realized that there was no sound coming out of it, and the wireless card was not detected.

These are the steps I followed to solve it. Just thought it might help someone.

In order to make the wireless card work, I had to update to Ubuntu 8.10 (this is still in testing state). I followed this to do so.

After that, the system couldn't run into graphical mode, don't worry, reboot in safe mode, if needed, and select the option to fix the X server.

The next step was to solve (better said, to avoid) the audio issue with ALSA (maybe solved in future releases); so I just followed the steps described in here to replace ALSA by OSS4.

Maybe you need to install the necessary plugins so your player can use OSS afterwards, I didn't have much trouble.

I hope this helps someone. I know this is not a resolution of the problem but a dribbling for it.
    Last edited by ramomamo; September 16th, 2008 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Missing parts

Beans

Smile Re: Install Ubuntu on an Asus F6V

Most interesting and helpful. I have decided to be kept up to date about new Ubuntu versions thanks to you. Cheers.

Beans

Re: Install Ubuntu on an Asus F6V

Hi!
    I try for my asus f6v install ubuntu intrepid alpha5. Everything work fine, expect ati vga on 3D.
    But if I enable daily update (at this moment 294...), after restart I have no GUI.
    Thereford I use only alpha5.
    (My f6v is buliding 3G modem.)

Beans

Thankyou very much, I am running windows vista atm(unfortunately) but this is great to know that intrepid will get my sound working(with oss4), which is why I instlled/uninstalled ubuntu on this laptop when i first revieved it.

Thanks again

Beans

Hy there,
    Does anyone tried out the 8.10 (the final version) on F6V?

Thanks in advance

Beans

I'm running ubuntu 8.10 on my asus f6v.

It was easier to get things working than on 8.04, but still took some time. I installed the 64 bit version which, even though i'm sure some programs work faster i would recommend using the regular i386 architecture. I've had to install too many fixes to get things compatible.

Sound works using oss4. I still cant get ubuntu os sounds to work. But all the programs Im using are working with minor changes in code.

There is also a problem with the video card in that certain videos flash constantly. It's only a problem with Gstreamer video player right now, not with vlc movies or adobe flash, but i haven't tried videogames or anything yet.

I haven't gotten the mic to work yet either, but webcam works without issue.

Beans

mic was an easy fix, i just had it on output instead of input in gnome sound options

Beans

its amazing.. i got my FV6 recently and did install the new Ubuntu 8.10 desktop version on it.. but i have soo many things not working.. i am absolutely delighted to find this forum.. currently trying to work out the sound issue.. no sound on my laptop.. have been reading ur suggestions.. will try them soon and get back... cheers!

Beans

.. the sound thing didnt work.. the thing is i am totally new to linux..

Beans

If you installed oss4 following the steps, try to open ossmixer and check the settings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast