Thread: program to learn linux commands

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

program to learn linux commands

No idea where to post this so i'll start here and see what people think first.
    I signed up on the Linux training partnersite to see what it's all about... very cool indeed!

I started the preview of the test and was able to answer but 1 of the first 5 command questions... i have a terrible memory! Repetition is the easiest way for me to learn and i know this from my last driving exam which I aced because of a msdos driving test program i found that provided a test that asked random questions. I repeated the test until my score was a consistant 100%. Whether or not this is actually cheating is another thread but feel free to comment lol.(for the record in 25 years of driving i have had one speeding ticket and one accident that was in no way my fault so i do actually know how to drive)

anyhow, I was wondering if such a program exists for linux commands and if not is there anybody out there who can provide the code for such a program?
    Last edited by trash; September 16th, 2008 at 03:31 AM. Reason: driving record LOL
    ~
    Desktop:ASRock P4i65GV/P4 2.8ghz 2gbram
    Laptop:Toshiba L350-PSLD8C Centrino64 dualcore 2ghz 4gbram

Beans

Re: program to learn linux commands

It is called a terminal.

Use it, and you will learn.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    It is called a terminal.

Use it, and you will learn.
    the problem with that is you are talking A LOT of trial and error and a whole whack of time that people are already hard pressed for, obviously that is one way but i am looking for another. I also think it would be a heck of a lot easier for people to accomplish stuff knowing the commands before they go into a terminal, rather than learning when they are trying to get something to work... also it's the repetition aspect i am looking at... I doubt the average user uses more than say 15-20+/- commands so that is probably all they will learn.
    ~

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    the problem with that is you are talking A LOT of trial and error and a whole whack of time that people are already hard pressed for, obviously that is one way but i am looking for another. I also think it would be a heck of a lot easier for people to accomplish stuff knowing the commands before they go into a terminal, rather than learning when they are trying to get something to work... also it's the repetition aspect i am looking at... I doubt the average user uses more than say 15-20+/- commands so that is probably all they will learn.
    The terminal is very diverse, There are inbuilt commands and external programs.

There is also a scripting language for each shell. I suggest you check out my wiki http://laroza77.wikidot.com/linux for shell programming.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    The main problem is that people are terminal-averse to begin with, so they only turn to the terminal during periods of stress.

For practice that did not require root access, it should be possible to set up a user account with relatively limited privileges. You could hack away to your heart's content there.

If the exercise calls for root access, it should be entirely possible to build a virtual machine with no GUI and use that as a sandbox for learning.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

I think the best way to learn commands is through experience. That's pretty much how I leaned all the commands I know. Just play around with the terminal. It's fun
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

http://inx.maincontent.net/

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=859914 (Our thread in ubuntuforums)

You can try out INX (Is Not X, as there is no Xorg). It's a distro with the aim to teaching people more about the command line, and more generally to provide a CLI "desktop linux"

Included is a ubuntu mininal install plus a series of tutorials/exercises that teach you the command line in an interactive manner. It also includes common text based programs that allow you to perfom various computing tasks (office, web, multimedia).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    The terminal is very diverse, There are inbuilt commands and external programs.

There is also a scripting language for each shell. I suggest you check out my wiki http://laroza77.wikidot.com/linux for shell programming.
    Great page! Diverse indeed, the scope of such a project just grew 5-10 fold.

Here's how i see a start, a simple program that runs a series of inbuilt shell command questions. beginner(the basics maybe 20 questions), intermediate 20-40 and so on.
    External programs could be another test, same with scripting languages.

I'm not disputing experience as a means to learn, i'm talking about another tool/means to learn... seeing as such a tool is being used already by the driving licence bureau of Canada(or maybe just Quebec, not sure) I can vouch for it's success as a teaching tool.
    ~

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Brunellus View Post
    The main problem is that people are terminal-averse to begin with, so they only turn to the terminal during periods of stress.

For practice that did not require root access, it should be possible to set up a user account with relatively limited privileges. You could hack away to your heart's content there.

If the exercise calls for root access, it should be entirely possible to build a virtual machine with no GUI and use that as a sandbox for learning.
    I agree, thats why i think a simple test that new linux users can run in their sparetime, that would teach them 5-10-20 of the basic commands, in a low stress 15-20 minutes would be way better.
    ~

Beans
    Distro

looks like it's not only in Canada i think this one is for the States

The Official DSA Theory Test for Drivers of Large Vehicles
    CD-ROM
    Author: Driving Standards Agency (DSA)
    Published: 22 Feb 2006
    Essential software for learner LGV and PCV drivers. This is the only official CD-ROM which includes the entire bank of DSA theory test questions for drivers of large vehicles and explains the answers.

It is written by the Driving Standards Agency, the people who set the tests.This CD-ROM is valid for tests taken from 3rd April 2006 and has been updated to include questions on avoiding and dealing with congestion, environmental issues, insurance and the new vehicle licensing regulations.

This CD-ROM will help you to prepare for the multiple choice part of the theory test.

http://torrentbox.com/torrent_details?id=38593
    ~