Thread: man: equivalent in ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: man: equivalent in ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Offramp View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for the response. I have been using the terminal for viewing, but became comfortable with the nicely formatted, version in Konqueror

I was hoping for a similar functionality in ubuntu (gnome desktop),

Cheer
    Then use Yelp (Gnome's Help viewer). It can access manual and info pages as well. Just type press F1 to open Yelp and type man:yelp into the search field.

You can't do that in Nautilus since, unlike Konqueror, Nautilus is "just a file manager" and doesn't come with document viewer, web browser and kitchen sink.
    Last edited by mcduck; September 16th, 2008 at 08:55 AM.

Beans

The "man:", "info:", "fish:", etc are named KIO slaves and are part of the KDE technology, so they don't `automagically' work on GNOME.
    Q)Why did the multithreaded chicken cross the road?
    A)to To other side. get the
    Q)Why did the multithreaded chicken cross the road?
    A)other to side. To the get

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by crazypenguin2008 View Post
    ahh i see...i knwo my way around terminal pretty well but after 5 years im still learning stuff...thanks!!
    You have been using the terminal for 5 years, but don't even know how to access a man page?

Something doesn't sound right.

Beans

Code:
    man man

Beans

Thanks mcduck,

I had tried yelp previously, however it crashes when trying to navigate an info page (info:cpio -> use keyboard [also tried mouse] to select section and yelp closes). I have since installed man2html to view local man pages through browser and am researching info2html as well. It is not really a big issue, I have just become used to reading this much info through a browser rather than a terminal

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by billgoldberg View Post
    You have been using the terminal for 5 years, but don't even know how to access a man page?

Something doesn't sound right.
    This had me wondering as well. 5 years of navigating the terminal and not once did he come across man ? Just weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Offramp
    I have just become used to reading this much info through a browser rather than a terminal
    The day you hose your xorg and have to do everything from tty1, you'll see why this can be a bad thing. Or even the day you open a shell on a remote Linux box through ssh. (And they wonder why I use emacs.)
    This is the first age that's paid much attention to the future, which is a little ironic since we may not have one.
    -- Arthur C. Clarke

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

How about simply installing Konqueror in Ubuntu and accessing the man pages the same way you're used to?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Another option is the new Ubuntu Manpage Repository which has all the man pages online.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12