Thread: Blank screen after logging in.

Beans

Blank screen after logging in.

Hello,

I just installed Ubuntu for the first time on an Emachine. When I turn it on I get a login screen, however, once I log in I get nothing. Any advice how I can fix this?

Lexi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Blank screen after logging in.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexia View Post
    Hello,

I just installed Ubuntu for the first time on an Emachine. When I turn it on I get a login screen, however, once I log in I get nothing. Any advice how I can fix this?

Lexi
    Hi and welcome, could you give us some system specs? You may try and boot into recovery mode which is usually the second choice from the grub. Then use the xfix option which hopefully will correct the graphics issue.

Beans

I let the computer set over night and I now have a desktop loaded with an error. However, I will list my specs... Emachine T2698 with a 2600+ AMD, 512 RAM, and a nVidia graphics card. Yesterday I had been reading about issues with Linux and the nVidia card and I attempted what it says on this site, I don't know if it worked though http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/02...n-ubuntu-edgy/.
    As for the error,

"The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_FastUserSwitchApplet". Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?"

Options I have is Don't Delete and Delete, I am just going to leave that window up for now.

Thank you for your help!
    Lexi

Beans

One other thing, it is really really slow which is maybe why it took over half an hour for it to load gnome?

Lexi