Thread: I got owned/hacked

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I got owned/hacked

Hello,

I am running postfix 2.3 on Debian 4.0 and I got hacked. I can see multiple attempts to connect to gmail and visi.com for some reason. I htough I was pretty good about doing updates and keeping up on patches.

I have the box blocked off now but what I want to do is forensically find out what happened. Can anyone give me some tips on how to tackle this?

I have checked the history command and see nothing that I have not done so I dont think it was rooted. One thing odd is clamav has the cpu pegged at 98% but that is not too odd since this is an NSLUS (SLUG) running Debian.

Being owned sucks...

Thanks,

Pete

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: I got owned/hacked

Check for rootkits (install rkhunter) and check in detail every log. If you were hacked and noticed in time, you might have some trails that the attacker left unclean.

Beans
    Distro

A little more information. RKhunter found gave me one warning:

Scanning for hidden files... [ Warning! ]
    ---------------
    /etc/.pwd.lock /dev/.static
    /dev/.udev
    /dev/.initramfs
    /dev/.initramfs-tools

Please inspect: /dev/.static (directory) /dev/.udev (directory) /dev/.initramfs (directory)

But I looked around and this seems to be a common false positive for Debian.

The little bugger has now stopped trying to send traffic out on port 25 and has switched to UDP 123 which I did have open outbound at one point. This box is in a DMZ which is now allowing nothing in or out.

brian_p is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pete89 View Post
    Hello,

I am running postfix 2.3 on Debian 4.0 and I got hacked. I can see multiple attempts to connect to gmail and visi.com for some reason.
    Check your postfix configuration. Assuming these are incoming connections it is an attempt to relay mail through your machine. You, of course, have set up postfix to disallow this so it will fail. Perfectly normal. No hacking.

I have the box blocked off now but what I want to do is forensically find out what happened. Can anyone give me some tips on how to tackle this?
    The postfix logs are your first port of call.
    Brian.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by brian_p View Post
    Check your postfix configuration. Assuming these are incoming connections it is an attempt to relay mail through your machine. You, of course, have set up postfix to disallow this so it will fail. Perfectly normal. No hacking.
    No these are active outbound connections from the mail server to the world. First I see a boat load of DNS lookups and then a whole lot attempts to connect via tcp 25 to many google and visi servers. This is then followed by attempts to connect to other bots over port udp 123.

brian_p is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

No these are active outbound connections from the mail server to the world. First I see a boat load of DNS lookups and then a whole lot attempts to connect via tcp 25 to many google and visi servers. This is then followed by attempts to connect to other bots over port udp 123.
    So not a postfix problem after all.
    Brian.

Beans

These are interesting reads and might give you some insight:
    Hacked Linux Checklist
    Dead Linux Machines do Tell Tales [link to pdf]

Once the investigation is done I highly recommend wiping the drive, reinstalling the OS, and reading the Securing Debian Manual.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

I am running postfix 2.3 on Debian 4.0 and I got hacked. I can see multiple attempts to connect to gmail and visi.com for some reason. I htough I was pretty good about doing updates and keeping up on patches.
    Are you sure that you didn't just run an open relay mailserver?