Thread: [SOLVED] What RAM modules fit my PC?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

[SOLVED] What RAM modules fit my PC?

I have two questions:

1) I currently have only 512MB of RAM. I want to upgrade by installing a new 1024MB module. I know that my current 512 module is DDR2 @ 533Mhz. Question is, what kind of module should I buy? It's clear that it has to be DDR2, but does it have to be the same frequency? Can I get one with a higher frequency (like 667Mhz)? What else do I have to look for?

2) I know that in a previous version of Ubuntu (I think 7.04) there was a GUI application that showed every bit of hardware in my PC and every detail about that bit. I think it was installed by default. I can't find it now in 8.04. Does it still exist? What's it called? Can I install it via Add/Remove... ?

Thanks
    [ Blog # A Programmer's Ride ]
    Linux: it really whips the penguin's butt.

Beans

Re: What RAM modules fit my PC?

Whether you can use a higher frequency module will depend on the motherboard you have. As a general rule you can put higher frequency modules in and the motherboard will just run them as fast as it is capable of doing so. This theory doesn't always work out however, and i have seen several reports of people being unable to get laptops to boot using higher frequency modules than recommended for their motherboard.

In short you can be sure 533 modules should work, as for anything else you are taking a bit of a gamble unless you fish out the exact model of your motherboard and take a gander at their supported modules list

Hope that helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: What RAM modules fit my PC?

Thank you. I found my motherboard model using the dmidecode function and it seems it only supports 533Mhz.

I also found the program I was looking for. It's called Device Manager.
    [ Blog # A Programmer's Ride ]
    Linux: it really whips the penguin's butt.