Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu has a compressed filesystem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ubuntu has a compressed filesystem.

I always wondered that why ubuntu doesn't have any compressed filesysetem. When I use Windows, I used compressed function of NTFS to save my disk space. Actually I could save much of disk space when I compress file such as text files and incomplete torrent files. But after change my main O/S to Ubuntu, I can't do that.

Today, I found one; fusecompress. http://developer.berlios.de/projects/fusecompress/
    That makes any filesystem to compressed filesystem. And it has many options to change compress ratio and performance. It has better compressed ratio than NTFS's one.

So I tried to find fusecompress deb package for Ubuntu. But I could find nothing. Instead of I found a needs-packaging bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/108874

To use fusecompress, I have to install manually from source code. After compiling, I could run fusecompress, and make and compress my ext3 filesystem.

It's very nice and works perfectly nevertheless it is still beta state!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Ubuntu has a compressed filesystem.

This would be nice. Especially for people with small HDDs.
    Current distro: Kubuntu 11.04 + KXStudio

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hows the performance?

Compressing everything would probably make reading and writing slow enough but to have to use Fuse would make it even slower. Or am I wrong?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i too used to keep my drive compressed in XP

what about this?>
    http://e2compr.sourceforge.net/
    or http://sourceforge.net/services/proj...ject_id=222108

has anyone tried them?

also how's the performance with fuse?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Masoris View Post
    It's very nice and works perfectly nevertheless it is still beta state!
    Today I test again the compressed filesystem. small files works perfectly, but large file has critical problem.
    It takes few times more disk space than original file. (Bug: http://developer.berlios.de/bugs/?fu...&group_id=5384)
    I should find another compressed filesystem.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I don't believe this should be necessary for 2 reasons:
    1) Linux's package management system saves hundreds of megabytes by ensuring only one version of any one library is installed at a time. On Windows, dozens of the same dlls can be scattered over different program folders, wasting lots of hard-drive space.

2) Today's new computers come with at least a 160gb hard drive, while most have 250gb drives. This is more than ample for most users; if you need more room, a 200gb usb external hard drive can be bought for around $80-$120.
    Last edited by irrdev; September 16th, 2008 at 09:15 AM.
    Packin Debian Package Creator- Packin is a graphical Linux package creator wizard which compiles packages in the popular debian package format (.deb files). Packin is hosted on sourceforge.net and released under the GPL.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by irrdev View Post

2) Today's new computers come with at least a 160gb hard drive, while most have 250gb drives. This is more than ample for most users; if you need more room, a 200gb usb external hard drive can be bought for around $80-$120.
    well .... y spend $80-$120 now
    if u could fit a bit more in the present drive , could postpone a new drive!
    guess a few of us want to squeeze the pennies

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by steeleyuk View Post
    Hows the performance?

Compressing everything would probably make reading and writing slow enough but to have to use Fuse would make it even slower. Or am I wrong?
    When I test, I mounted fusecompress with bz2 compression method. The read and write performance was:
    Read without compression: 12.9MB/s
    Read with bz2 compression: 7.5MB/s
    Write with bz2 compression: 2.6MB/s

And text file's compression ratio was about 1:2 (200kB file become 100kB after compression).

Beans

I could save much of disk space when I compress file such as text files and incomplete torrent files. But after change my main O/S to Ubuntu, I can't do that.
    Just a small comment on this: For incomplete torrents you should use "spare"-files. (Even under Windows.) They will only write the part of the files that they recived already.

I have to confess, that I'm strictly against compressing the files online. Especily with torrents that changed each second your CPU needs to compress the file a thousend times each second, resulting in high CPU useage and slowing down the download process as well (esspecily for big files).

This way you need to buy a higher CPU and use more electricy. Resulting that you pay in one year ten times the ammount that you are saving for not buying a larger harddrive.

Spare-files on the other hand work flawless in this case.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

When I test, I mounted fusecompress with bz2 compression method. The read and write performance was:
    Read without compression: 12.9MB/s
    Read with bz2 compression: 7.5MB/s
    Write with bz2 compression: 2.6MB/s

And text file's compression ratio was about 1:2 (200kB file become 100kB after compression).
    And how is that compared to a normal, non-compressed ext3 filesystem on the same computer and harddisk? What are the specs of your computer?
    Ubuntu 12.04

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast