Thread: Apple's OSX Leopard on PCs. Genuine installs or Emulated installs?

Beans

Question Apple's OSX Leopard on PCs. Genuine installs or Emulated installs?

One of my friends has told me that the versions of Leopard OS X which people often install on PCs are not genuine installs but emulated installs. Is that true or false? Some light on this would be highly appreciated.

Beans

Re: Apple's OSX Leopard on PCs. Genuine installs or Emulated installs?

Quote Originally Posted by global citizen View Post
    One of my friends has told me that the versions of Leopard OS X which people often install on PCs are not genuine installs but emulated installs. Is that true or false? Some light on this would be highly appreciated.
    Most of the time its emulated or downright hacked.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

By design OSX cannot be legitimately installed on anything other than Apple hardware. OSX86 will let you install a cracked copy with drivers for other manufacturers on an x86 compatible PC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

No emulation whatsoever. It's hacked so the OS doesn't check for Apple's hardware, that's all. Otherwise the OS is exactly the same and has exactly the same performance (or better, depending on your hardware) as it has when running on "native" Apple hardware (which is just ordinary PC hardware with some extra "security" for Apple to close the system).