Thread: [SOLVED] which PCI wireless card works out of the box in Australia

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[SOLVED] which PCI wireless card works out of the box in Australia

setting up a home network for a friend, but need to go wireless on 2 PCs (1 old PIII500 and 1 new AMD2.7Ghz).

which PCI card will work out of the box and is available in Australia

Spent about 3 hours trying to get a Linksys Wireless G working in Win XP, and then tried in Hardy - no luck with either
    Last edited by charonred; September 17th, 2008 at 12:07 AM.
    Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 m/board + 3.0Ghz Phenom II X4 945 CPU + 4GB DDR2 RAM + Sapphire HD5770 1GB video + 1 pata & 3 sata drives (2000 GB) + 2 DVD burners + 2 x 19" LCD monitors ... July'08 -XP +Hardy, Dec'09 +Karmic, May'10 +Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: which PCI wireless card works out of the box in Australia

Well, I don't live in Australia, but I think this info can help you

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...eShootingGuide
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...CardsSupported

Best...
    Best, Gnusci

"Never make a calculation until you know the answer." -- Wheeler, Spacetime Physics, pg 60.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Seems the Linksys WMP54G Wireless-G requires a PC with 500 Mhz + CPU, so this card will be going in the new AMD PC for the eldest boy. I tested it in both XP and Hardy on a Celeron 900Mhz with 384 RAM and it worked flawlessly (just needs NDISwrapper for it to work in Ubuntu), so it should be fine in any newer PC.

The old PC is moving down the line to his younger brother and is a aOpen 500Mhz PIII with 384 RAM. I tried a Netgear W311 PCI card which has a 300Mhz minimum requirement - PC won't post; take card out, PC posts and boots; put card back in, won't post - so it's off to find a cheap brand card that will work. This PC has a clean dual boot install of XP & Hardy, all I added was a 128 MB AGP and Compiz runs fine, though the PC itself runs a little slow in both OS's.
    Last edited by charonred; September 17th, 2008 at 12:28 AM. Reason: typo
    Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 m/board + 3.0Ghz Phenom II X4 945 CPU + 4GB DDR2 RAM + Sapphire HD5770 1GB video + 1 pata & 3 sata drives (2000 GB) + 2 DVD burners + 2 x 19" LCD monitors ... July'08 -XP +Hardy, Dec'09 +Karmic, May'10 +Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As there were too many confilcts with wireless in the old 500Mhz, I had a 733Mhz PIII lying around, so I dropped the drives etc into that along with the Linksys Wireless-G.

Unbelievably the mainboard in that PC didn't like the XFX 128 MB AGP graphics card, all I could get was 4 bit colour in XP; no matter how many times I tried the CD software, or drivers from Nvidia or XFX, it just looked crap.

Luckily I had a Chimei 128 MB AGP graphics card lying around, so in that went and everything was then OK.

So after finally getting XP & Hardy with wireless in both and reasonable graphics - 3 days of stuffing around; the damned thing starts freezing up, even in bios it suddenly freezes, no keyboard - both PCs are now heading for kerbside collection.

In future not going to touch any old PCs with anything less than 1 Ghz in it, just not worth the hassle !

Now I can get on with building the new AMD PC; that'll be a piece of cake
    Last edited by charonred; September 17th, 2008 at 12:42 PM.