Thread: HELP: Full screen switches automatically

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation HELP: Full screen switches automatically

A problem has been plaguing me since 7.04! When in full-screen mode (usually during a game), the application will suddenly switch to windowed mode for a few seconds, and then switch back to full screen. This bug/annoyance is very good at getting me killed when gaming.

It has been happening on 5 different PC with multiple hardware and OS configurations. It just happened while playing Super Tux 2, with nothing else installed besides updates on a new 8.04 build.

Anyone have an idea? Please share if you have the same problems.
    -AR
    Actors make their living playing pretend, so why do we listen to them about how we should live in the real world?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HELP: Full screen switches automatically

drivers corrupt, bad hardware, or faulty setup for the game. what were the video cards, drivers, and did u check the settings for the game?
    Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by pavel989 View Post
    drivers corrupt, bad hardware, or faulty setup for the game. what were the video cards, drivers, and did u check the settings for the game?
    I think I have almost ruled out those possibilities. I does this on 5 different PC's; hardware ranging from hard-core gaming box to a light Atom based PC.

Do me a favor and try it for yourself. Get a fresh install of 8.04,load updates + "I have no tomatoes", and play in full screen. After five minutes it will switch out from full screen to windowed mode, then back again.

-AR
    Actors make their living playing pretend, so why do we listen to them about how we should live in the real world?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Can confirm on Battle for Wesnoth, Compiz being enabled. Haven't tried without Compiz yet.

Didn't do it on Gutsy, too. With or without Compiz enabled.
    This is the first age that's paid much attention to the future, which is a little ironic since we may not have one.
    -- Arthur C. Clarke

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Mornedhel View Post
    Can confirm on Battle for Wesnoth, Compiz being enabled. Haven't tried without Compiz yet.

Didn't do it on Gutsy, too. With or without Compiz enabled.
    Interesting, I did forget to mention that Compiz was enabled on all the boxes. Why would that screw with the game I am not sure, but will test it tonight.

-AR

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unsolved still and REALLY annoying!

I need bigger Linux heads then myself to please weigh in on this.

<PING> -AR

Beans

Same problem here when using Compiz. I notice it in BZFlag, Battle for Wesnoth, Neverball, etc.

Everything stays in fullscreen when not using Compiz.

Xubuntu 8.04. Some Nvidia chipset/series 5200 256 MB card.

SD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ok... at least we are confirming it.

If I can get a few more confirms then maybe I can subit a bug report; but first we need to establish a commonality or the software developers are going to scratch their heads.

Everyone that confirms this issue, post some general hardware specs please.

-AR

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have noticed a similar behaviour while playing MAME games in fullscreen mode. I managed to fix it by disabling the screensaver while playing. Maybe this is the source of your problems?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by features View Post
    I have noticed a similar behaviour while playing MAME games in fullscreen mode. I managed to fix it by disabling the screensaver while playing. Maybe this is the source of your problems?
    Screen saver? That's an interesting notion. Why would the OS not see you using an app in full screen?

-AR