Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "You aren't using your OS properly..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: "You aren't using your OS properly..."

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    I have two of them in my desktop. One is Lighscribe enabled. I also have two hard disks and an extra fan to keep things airy.

Is it part of the unit or separate?
    It's a part of the unit, on the right hand side.

No, that is xmonad with vim, bzr, and mc. Xmonad, a modern tiling window manager written in Haskell. Vim, the best text editor. mc, a file manager that kicks all the "GUI" ones in the rear. bzr, the Canonical created version control system, used from the command line like, instead of a GUI like the Mac boy.
    Well, I usually use bzr at the command line except for merge ancestry graphing which is more informative when viewed in a GUI.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post
    It's a part of the unit, on the right hand side.
    Neat. That is a very usable design those iMac's. If it weren't for their price, I bet they could be the most common home computer (or if a similiar design using another OS)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I wonder how usable DarwinBSD is without the Mac part.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by MaxIBoy View Post
    I wonder how usable DarwinBSD is without the Mac part.
    Due to a lack of interest and Hackintosh jerks abusing the Darwin distribution to make home-brew pirated OS X breeds, Apple no longer releases a distribution of Darwin and there seems to be little demand to making a Darwin OS.

I think it comes down to the fact that on non-Apple hardware, there's not much point to using Darwin over using another BSD-like OS. A lot of what defines Darwin is its tight integration and flawless support of the Apple hardware. Other than that, it's a slow-context-switching UNIX with poor hardware support.
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'd probably separate a few of those windows out to multiple desktops to save space. Although, if you're used to the scale plugin in Compiz Fusion (Exposé in Mac) it might not be necessary. I never could get quite used to it.

Anyway, Windows users always seem to only like 1-2 windows open at a time. It drives me nuts when I see them close stuff they're just going to need later to "save memory".
    The command line is a powerful tool. You should not type a command unless you know what it does.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cookieofdoom View Post
    I'd probably separate a few of those windows out to multiple desktops to save space. Although, if you're used to the scale plugin in Compiz Fusion (Exposé in Mac) it might not be necessary. I never could get quite used to it.

Anyway, Windows users always seem to only like 1-2 windows open at a time. It drives me nuts when I see them close stuff they're just going to need later to "save memory".
    Rest assured, the other desktops are actually in-use by various more important tasks at hand (i.e. homework, calendar, forums/launchpad browser windows, etc)

I do use per-app and per-desktop expose extensively; it's an absolute must-have feature for me!

Beans

I didn't know there was a right way to use a OS

I for one use my computers very specifically and tend to not follow the lines of default look/layout

I have my windows list at the top, my launchers at the bottom (almost like a dock, but its just a panel with launchers), and its not fully extended so i can easily switch my desktops with compiz

I have the same layout with gnome and openbox for the same reason, switching desktops easily
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chris4585; September 15th, 2008 at 03:34 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phrostbyte View Post
    I noticed that you also call the directory with all your projects "code". Great minds think alike!
    Thank you. Been meaning to think of a good name instead of 'projects', but never bothered.
    Q)Why did the multithreaded chicken cross the road?
    A)to To other side. get the
    Q)Why did the multithreaded chicken cross the road?
    A)other to side. To the get

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123