View Poll Results: Keep firefox in 8.10?

Voters
441. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

303 68.71%
  • no

92 20.86%
  • maybe?

29 6.58%
  • use other browser; post your oppinion

36 8.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 8.10 possibly not to use firefox in next release?

Beans

8.10 possibly not to use firefox in next release?

Well I just got done reading this: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjcxOA

And it makes me think that there needs to be two choices when you're installing ubuntu. Have good ol' Firefox and then have something like iceweasel in addition.

What do you guys think should happen?

Should Ubuntu stick with a Firefox that requires you accept their trademark agreement, or should Ubuntu switch to a web browser that needs not have a trademark agreement?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: 8.10 possibly not to use firefox in next release?

Much ado about nothing.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans

Well as long as it's ok with the same license as Ubuntu uses, I.e freedom to use it how ever you want and distribute it but theirs is different to the GPL.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

why not Firefox?
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans

Well if you read the article, it says that the only license that you must accept is their trademark agreement. Basically saying that the name FireFox belongs to the respective owners and that the firefox logo belongs to its respective owners.

It's still 100% free, but FireFox is just trying to make sure that after all of the users that use Firefox, it still belongs to the actual creators.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Actually I don't think Ubuntu will use Firefox in a future release. Mainly because I think Firefox is going to use Qt by default in future, from what I've read that is anyway

Beans

If FireFox goes to QT there'll be absolutely NO WAY I'll ever use it then ... if that happens, it looks like I'll have to get rather cozy with a different browser.

If you can't tell, I have a rather dislike for kde ... I'm a 100% gnome fan. If firefox goes QT, it won't be a very nice thing for me to hear about.

Beans

The whole think is silly. They should worry more about making it usable for regular users.

Beans

Who cares, if you don't want Firefox, just install something different, if the Ubuntu devs choose not to have Firefox and you want it, then just go and download it, where is the issue?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would be delighted if Firefox went to Qt. It's about time Ubuntu actually packaged a browser that fits its release cycle, integrates with GNOME and runs without hanging the entire environment. (Oh, and while we're at it, it would be nice if said browser cared more about its Linux audience than its Windows audience, which is not the case with Firefox because Windows has the bigger share of users).

I would rather we start using a different web browser than just rebrand Firefox. While lots of people use it for the interface, one of the reasons it is default is name recognition. Having a differently named, slightly different looking browser that feels like Firefox (except broken, because Firefox under GNOME has always paled in comparison to a GNOME-centric browser like Epiphany) would feel a lot like learning that your new iPod is actually a cheap knockoff. TSClient and OpenOffice's Options dialog are quite enough cheap knockoffs of proprietary Windows software. Let's not have cheap knockoffs of open source software.
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; September 14th, 2008 at 07:19 PM.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast