Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing WoW on to a Linux machine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Installing WoW on to a Linux machine

Quote Originally Posted by Pharohs View Post
    "Copy all of the files from the first WoW CD to this new directory.".
    You could use cp -R from command-line, but wouldn't be easier to do it from GUI?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Ok, ju2wheels, I got that done. Your commands were fantastic!
    Here was my next step:
    Code:
    4. Open a terminal and do these commands inside to start the installation:
    Code:

cd /<path-to-directory>/
    wine Installer.exe
    Here is what happened next:
    Code:
    othello@othello-laptop:~/Desktop/wow_install$ cd /home/othello/Desktop/wow_install/cdrom0
    othello@othello-laptop:~/Desktop/wow_install/cdrom0$ wine Installer.exe
    ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:874:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
    ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:874:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
    err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
    fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on ATI IXP Modem, disabling mixer
    othello@othello-laptop:~/Desktop/wow_install/cdrom0$ fixme:richedit:IRichEditOle_fnGetClientSite stub 0x14d32a8
    fixme:ole:OleCreateStaticFromData (not shown), stub!
    Here is what the folder looks like:
    http://s521.photobucket.com/albums/w...reenshot-2.jpg

This is WAY over my head.
    It's really not - you're just not used to it yet.

I just don't understand why it is so difficult when using WINE. This game is rated Gold with WINE.
    That's because it's not difficult - you're reacting to "warns" as if they're "errors" and generally a little tense about things. This is just because you're not used to terminals, etc. It gets better.

The ALSA messages are from Wine, telling you that it's not sure how to talk to your sound card. If you've not used Wine before, try typing:

winecfg

into a terminal, and going to the sound tab and setting up your sound devices. (Pick ALSA to start with.)

Then, after closing winecfg, try the

wine installer.exe

again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

After many fruitless hours, I gave up on installing from the disks aand downloaded the installer. I don't know how this will be any better, but...nothing beats a can't like a try! Oddly, I had already tested the sound using "winecfg". I capitalized the word "Installer" when I ran "wine Installer.exe" is that a mistake? How does capitalization affect things? Are some things case sensitive?
    It seems like all the preparatory steps I took were for nothing. I'll know if the download will work in a few hours. Thanks to all of you for your help. If nothing else, I am learning things.
    Last edited by Pharohs; September 15th, 2008 at 11:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

1. Do you have the latest version of Wine installed? (1.0) A lot of those installations listed as Gold on winehq actually use the most up to date development version of wine (later than 1.0).

2. Have you looked for WoW installation instructions on www.winehq.com ? Typically people leave comments on their installation attempts there and how they did it. I dont play video games on my computer so unfortunately I dont have any experience in installing such games.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

[SOLVED] Re: Installing WoW on to a Linux machine

It turns our that-other than the long download time- installation via download was rather easy and mostly painless. But, the entire experience was great, because I learned quite a bit. Thanks to everyone for their assistance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Make sure your files are executable (by default newly copied files are not). In GUI: right-click, properties, the middle-most tab, make executable (near bottom).

EDIT: Ah, nevermind

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Installing WoW on to a Linux machine

The only thing I used Windows for was playing WoW. I want a 100% Ubuntu machine. I friend of mine, an uber Windows guy doesn't believe it can be done. I want to show him that Ubuntu (and Linux as a whole) is a viable system with advantages over Windows. I know he will be convinced if I can do this. I am following the instructions found here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft

I think that I am doing surprisingly well, however, I don't know how to do this: "Copy all of the files from the first WoW CD to this new directory." I am still reading and trying to learn the terminal commands.

Nothing I looked up seemed to be quite right to get the job done. I'm trying to copy everything from the CD to the new folder on my desktop. The twist is, the only things showing on the CD are the Mac OSX.app and the Installer Tome.mpq. I am using WINE so, I need the Windows XP installer stuff.

I'm sure that someone has done this successfully.
    [useless rant]
    So, you come here to ask "Tell me counter opinions why ******* sux."?

I am no Microsoft/Windows fanboy, but recently all this "If it is done by Microsoft, it sucks! Lets show linux is better!" stuff is idiotic.

Just like there are "cool" things in real life, there must be "cool" things in internet. Using Linux and bashing Microsoft/Windows looks like a one to me. Everyone uses them, but then people belong to this marginaö group of people who can laugh at the masses. Just like conspiracy theorists do.

Why can't people just admit that Linux is no for serious gaming? I mean, "We got Wine!", and people forget that not everything works out of the box, nor as good as on Windows. Actually, nothing works BETTER. I for one couldn't get WoW to work. Nor Trackmania Nations Forever. Nor CS:S, Nor Soldat. Actually I've NEVER seen that Wine runs something FLAWLESSLY. And I consider a slight mouse cursor animation bug a flaw.

[/useless rant]

Actually, usually after I write something like that, I usually just leave the page without posting it. But, just for the sake of "big bad monopolistic giant inferior company" called Microsoft, I post this, and I say that Linux and Wine SUCK for gaming. (Yes yes, a lot of progress has been made, but that justifies nothing. And until everything works, everything sucks.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12