Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: Intrusion Detection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Intrusion Detection

How do I get adodb installed to work with base? When I setup base and it asks for the adodb path, I enter what you provided, but this didn't work. It tells me file not found.
    Old school

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by espressobeanie View Post
    How do I get adodb installed to work with base? When I setup base and it asks for the adodb path, I enter what you provided, but this didn't work. It tells me file not found.
    Did you install adobd ?
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

My set up was working fine until I upgraded to LTS. Now I get the following error messages:
    Deprecated: Function ereg_replace() is deprecated in /var/www/base/includes/base_state_common.inc.php on line 184

Deprecated: Function ereg_replace() is deprecated in /var/www/base/includes/base_state_common.inc.php on line 184

Deprecated: Function ereg_replace() is deprecated in /var/www/base/includes/base_state_criteria.inc.php on line 255

I know you mentioned not to run new versions of base, but 1.4.4 was working fine for me. Any idea what happened?

Beans

Seems I need to apply a patch discussed here:
    https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?fun...48&atid=635584
    Can you help me with this? I have not applied patches before.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For wireless you recommended airsnort. I clicked on the link and it said that it was old an no longer supported. The site said there are better alternatives and gave 1 or 2 recommendations. Should I stick with airsnort or look for something else? I have an older laptop, Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100, P4 1.6GHz cpu, 1Gb mem, and a 40Gb hard drive. Will Apache be too much for me? If so, what NID and HID would you recommend?
    Last edited by baguahsing; July 17th, 2010 at 01:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm running into problems with starting snort:

dave@dms:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/snort start
    And a pop-up box comes up and says:

Snort failed to start...
    Not sure where I went wrong. Everything after 'make install' worked fine and there were two errors that I encountered. The first was when I was installing updated packages, like mysql-server-5.1, and I got this error:

libphp-adodb is no longer installed in /usr/share/adodb. New installation path is now /usr/share/php/adodb.

Please update your php.ini file. Maybe you must also change your web-server configuraton.
    And the second was that I couldn't import the mysql schemas for snort. I kept getting this error:

ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'snort'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
    A file create_mysql is already there.

Not sure how to fix these problems. Also, snort has updated to version 2.8.6.1 and already includes your startup script.

Bodhi, I was able to fix that other issue above. one of the php5 packages changed the way it referenced adobd and I failed to realize it.
    Last edited by espressobeanie; July 24th, 2010 at 01:07 AM.
    Old school

Beans

You are going to have to update the php files stated during the install process. But I do not think snort issue is related to that. I would suggest you test each component separately. ( you are doing that actually ) try to start snort, and have it report to screen. You can see the alerts go by, or collect them into a file. Once you know you are generating alerting alerts, then you can collect them into the mysql database. You can run snort in test mode, or use another switch to send the alerts to a file or console. Once you see alerts, then you should specify the location of your snort.conf file, which is the command that author of this document gave us. You snort.conf file causes snort to report to the mysql. Then you can jump in the mysql, and run a query to see if your alerts make it to your database. Once you are sure that is happening, then the fun begins with php new paths etc. I hope this helps. It may seem a lot of work, but it is fun as heck and in the end you come out with a great understanding of how this valuable tool works.

Not sure where I went wrong. Everything after 'make install' worked fine and there were two errors that I encountered. The first was when I was installing updated packages, like mysql-server-5.1, and I got this error:

And the second was that I couldn't import the mysql schemas for snort. I kept getting this error:

Not sure how to fix these problems. Also, snort has updated to version 2.8.6.1 and already includes your startup script.

Bodhi, I was able to fix that other issue above. one of the php5 packages changed the way it referenced adobd and I failed to realize it.

Beans

The following code will attempt to start SNORT and send any errors to a newly created snort_errors file in your /home folder. You do not have to create the file. The terminal will create it for you. Then you can post the contents of the folder here. Most likely the problems is coming from a conflicting SNORT rule. Hopefully this will show what that rule is.
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/snort start 2> snort_errors
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

OK, so you fixed the adodb error by updating the path.

The second error looks like a mysql problem. Did you set up the mysql database and edit /etc/snort/snort.conf ?

Did you make a mysql user, "snort" ? Did you make a database ?

Can you connect to mysql using snort ?

Code:
    mysql -u snort -p
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Woohoo! I figured it out. Bodhi, I did create a user named snort, and all of that. It seemed that importing the schemas was the problem. When you did that mysql command, I kept using my login password and not the mysql one. Now, I get snort is running successfully while whitelisting those two ip addresses.
    Old school

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast