Page 11 of 90 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: La Vida- The Sims For Linux

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: La Vida- The Sims For Linux

Thanks for the info, an open-source Sims could be cool.

Mr. Hibba.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hibba View Post
    Thanks for the info, an open-source Sims could be cool.

Mr. Hibba.
    Oops, I did not see the date on the OP's message. Sorry, but still, thanks for the info.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Xidram View Post
    Nah, try running it and--man, this is a cliché answer--grabbing a cup of coffee. When you return, you should see a skybox, ground plane (well, elongated ground box anyway), four walls, and a primitive ancestor of the future dude standing within those walls.

By the way, I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a while, and I must say that having an SVN repository to easily update my copy of the trunk is a great move. I am interested in this project and have been since I first saw the thread before even Mike picked it up. This may not (actually probably won't) be the only time I'll speak up about it.
    Indeed it is a slow loader.

Unfortunately its the code that loads the md2 models thats at fault. Python just isnt fast enought to load that amount of data at a reasonable speed.

I'm looking into making a C function that loads the models and returns a Python object for use by the game system but havent found a good solution to that.

I've been looking at SWIG but I cant get it to work well wihtmy C++ so I've heard a rumour that its better to use C instead.

If anyone has any experience with writting C and intergrating with pYTHON i'D LOVE SOME POINTERS

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeysofine1972 View Post
    Indeed it is a slow loader.

Unfortunately its the code that loads the md2 models thats at fault. Python just isnt fast enought to load that amount of data at a reasonable speed.

I'm looking into making a C function that loads the models and returns a Python object for use by the game system but havent found a good solution to that.

I've been looking at SWIG but I cant get it to work well wihtmy C++ so I've heard a rumour that its better to use C instead.

If anyone has any experience with writting C and intergrating with pYTHON i'D LOVE SOME POINTERS

Mike
    Well, I've heard of Weave - a subpackage of SciPy. (http://www.scipy.org/Weave)

As for other means of wrapping C/C++ with Python, I must confess that I do not have much experience in this task; sorry.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

That fix makes la-vida work for me. Thanks.

The soya3d package loads models quickly. Perhaps you could look at how they did things? (I dont know enough about C or python to say any more than that!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by OgreProgrammer View Post
    That fix makes la-vida work for me. Thanks.

The soya3d package loads models quickly. Perhaps you could look at how they did things? (I dont know enough about C or python to say any more than that!)
    Good to hear!

There are some concerns that the game is getting run on 64bit machines that need a bit more coding and I think that I'll probably end up making a 32 and 64 bit version of the c/c++ shared module for loading models.

Thanks for the heads up about soya3d I'll have a nose around and see if I can get some insight into how its done.

I tried SWIG last night and it failed on even using a basic excample that is installed from the repos. I not sure if I compiled it properly, although I followed the online tutorial on their site to the letter

Maybe there are special considerations when using gcc

Mike

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

To install soya I had to hit a debian repository for a single file. Soya installs fine in 9.04 but it seems that libode0debian1 is missing from 9.10. I confirm that I am using 64 bit yes.

A quick hit on google took me to a deb I could install though. After that synaptic played nice.

Here is the place to grab deb from ubuntu 9.04

http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/libode0debian1
    Last edited by OgreProgrammer; November 20th, 2009 at 12:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by OgreProgrammer View Post
    To install soya I had to hit a debian repository for a single file. Soya installs fine in 9.04 but it seems that libode0debian1 is missing from 9.10. I confirm that I am using 64 bit yes.

A quick hit on google took me to a deb I could install though. After that synaptic played nice.

Here is the place to grab deb from ubuntu 9.04

http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/libode0debian1
    I got the source and looked through. It seems to use Pyrex to do its C ode stuff.

Im not sure I want to learn a new language to biuld one new module when I want to use the languages I already know.

Has anyone used Pyrex? anyone have an idea if its that differenet from Python?

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

From the examples I have seen of Pyrex, it appears (to me) to be more similar to Boo than to Python, of course, Boo is based on Python. Personally, I wouldn't learn a language just to do a module, but anyone who has written modules using Python/C knows it is a right hassle!

Of course, that's why I prefer perl

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Aayu View Post
    From the examples I have seen of Pyrex, it appears (to me) to be more similar to Boo than to Python, of course, Boo is based on Python. Personally, I wouldn't learn a language just to do a module, but anyone who has written modules using Python/C knows it is a right hassle!

Of course, that's why I prefer perl
    So it would appear!

I suppose I'll just have to bite the bullet and do it the long slow way with Python.h or something like that

Mike

Page 11 of 90 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast