Page 1 of 90 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: La Vida- The Sims For Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Smile La Vida- The Sims For Linux

Introducing La Vida, The simulation game for Linux! Recently it seems like people want a port of the sims for Linux, or a sims like game for Linux so I made the La Vida Project simply aimed at creating an open source/ free simulation game. Let me know what you think. Since I have no programing sills what so ever I can't code but I figured maybe we could make a great game! Visit http://lavida.synthasite.com/ for more info. Also if you created/ know of a game like this please let me know in the comments below.
    Last edited by schmindy; September 14th, 2008 at 07:38 PM.
    2. If I had a nickel for every time someone said "in these troubled times" I'd be rich

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: La Vida- The Sims For Linux

bump...
    2. If I had a nickel for every time someone said "in these troubled times" I'd be rich

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: La Vida- The Sims For Linux

Quote Originally Posted by schmindy View Post
    Introducing La Vida, The simulation game for Linux! Recently it seems like people want a port of the sims for Linux, or a sims like game for Linux so I made the La Vida Project simply aimed at creating an open source/ free simulation game. Let me know what you think. Since I have no programing sills what so ever I can't code but I figured maybe we could make a great game! Visit http://lavida.synthasite.com/ for more info. Also if you created/ know of a game like this please let me know in the comments below.
    Not a lot happening at your website (yet)
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Yeah that is a good idea, but I am guessing, that it would take a few years for something like this. The Sims wasn't built overnight, and I am pretty sure The Sims is copyrighted and definitely not open source. I don't mean to be a party crasher, I would really love to see the Sims come to Linux. But it will definitely take some time.

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: La Vida- The Sims For Linux

Yes it will take some time, and yes the website is empty but hopefully it will be full soon. Plus I'm not talking about a direct port, maybe add a couple new features

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Lemme put it this way, No one is going to waste 15 seconds of time until you at least get a list of features and some planning done. Until then your 100% on your own. 15 lines of HTML is not nearly enough.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I love it how people think that they can just clap and people will apear to create their every whim.

get a scetchbook and start drawing ideas, avoid creating an exact sims cloan. then head over to the programming section, learn to program. grab Blender, learn to model/texture/animate, make a simple demo then people *may* take you siriusly.
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: La Vida- The Sims For Linux

Hey just an idea. If you don't like it don't help

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As a programmer I have this to say. Read this article for making your goals SMART.

Most games developed in the commercial world are based on a thing called a design document. This is normally a book, a few hundred pages of how everything works in the game. Of course no game starts out at a few hundred pages. You start with some simple ideas and then you flesh them out. If you are unable to program you might be able to do art. But the most important thing FOSS projects need is someone willing to lead and to persist until the job is done. In order to lead people you need a direction and that is where the design document comes in. The more detailed the document the more easier it is for programmers and artists to complete the work.

I must warn you that having a design document will not bring programmers and artist to your project. You will need other ways to entice them in. People need a way to contribute (sourceforge or launchpad) and a way to communicate (mailing lists, IRC channels, Forums).

Now for an example of how to start fleshing the game out.
    • Single or MultiPlayer?
    • Isometric or 3D?
    • What are you going to call your sim people? (can't be sims)
    • What are some items of clothing they might wear?
    • Do they have houses? How many rooms? Are they going to be multi-level?
    • Are there doors? How do they work?
    • What will the walls and windows look like?
    • Can the simulated people have jobs? How can they spend their income?
    • What is the user interface like? How does the player control their character? Can they control more than one character at a time?
    • Will the game have a loading screen?
    • Will you have ambient music?
    • Will you have sound effects?
    • What simulated emotions will the people have? How will the player be able to tell these emotions?

Remember don't answer like in the Sims. You need to write and/or draw how everything will work. As in the article above don't add too much stuff to your game at once. Start with a few small goals but be very specific as how they could be achieved. Most of the successful FOSS games started with very little but with dedication over the years have built up a significant game.
    -----
    Where does it say I know what I'm talking about?

Page 1 of 90 1231151 ... LastLast