Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tarballs are killing me! What to do??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Tarballs are killing me! What to do??

soundconverter is in the universe repository, so all you should need to do is ensure that's enabled in Software Sources and search for it in synaptic or Add/Remove. Tick a box and it'll install. No need for tarballs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by spec-chum View Post
    soundconverter is in the universe repository, so all you should need to do is ensure that's enabled in Software Sources and search for it in synaptic or Add/Remove. Tick a box and it'll install. No need for tarballs.
    If you need instructions with screenshots, go here:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Most of the time you won't need tarballs anyway.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install soundconverter
    Will do everything for you automagically. To search for a particular application:

Code:
    apt-cache search soundconverter
    Other useful apt commands:

sudo apt-get remove (uninstall a package)
    sudo apt-get remove --purge (uninstall & remove configuration files)
    sudo apt-get clean (this will clear the downloaded archive files)
    sudo apt-get autoclean (this will clear old archive files)
    sudo apt-get autoremove (this will clear all auto installed programs no longer needed, & remove unneeded dependencies).
    sudo apt-get check (just to make sure your ok)
    sudo apt-get upgrade (upgrade packages)
    sudo apt-get update (updates package repository information)

Or just use Add/Remove Programs.
    Last edited by Raffles10; September 14th, 2008 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Added a few more commands.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Ok. Great! I think I've got it now. Thank you all for your patience.

baruch60610 Guest

I would avoid using tarballs, at least for now. You can get your software much more easily.

I recommend using synaptic for installing programs. Synaptic doesn't come installed by default, so you'll have to get it. Go to the "Add/Remove Programs" option in your menu. Use the search bar to find "synaptic". Click the checkbox to install it. Once it has installed, exit the Add/Remove Programs application.

Why not just use the Add/Remove Programs application? I don't like it, because after you make each selection, it checks to see if there are conflicts. This can take a long time if you're trying to install several programs. It should wait until you're all finished choosing, and *then* check.

Anyway, exit this application, then start synaptic (it should be under your "System" submenu.

Here again, you can search for your desired program. In your case, you'd click on the Search button in the toolbar, enter "soundkonverter" in the search bar, and let it go find the program. If it finds it (and it should), you check the box to install it. You can pick whatever programs you want, using search or browsing through the various sections it will display. When you're all done, click on "Apply" and let it go.

Note that if this program seems to hang, it may be waiting for input from you. Sometimes it will check for bug reports on the programs you're installing. If it finds one, it will pause and ask you if you're sure you want to install. This question won't show, unless you click the "show details" option as synaptic is working. If you see there is a question, you can type 'y' or 'n'.

I recommend using one of the package managers, instead of using tarballs, whenever possible. These managers keep track of dependencies and conflicts, preventing you from accidentally installing or removing things that could cause problems.

Tarballs may be necessary in cases where a program isn't available through an Ubuntu repository. You may want to use a tarball when you want to compile a program with special options such as optimization for your particular machine or needs. But in general, it's safer and easier to use a package manager.

HTH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12