Thread: Kubuntu / Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Kubuntu / Ubuntu

Evening all

I've been using Kubuntu for two years now on my laptop with no Wine or Windows. I also have to work with corporate documents produced in Word of various varieties, and have had few problems other than formatting issues, and they can be worked around.

So I'm a convert.

On Friday, I converted my second laptop, an EeePc to Ubuntu, to find out how the other half live.

I have some issues and questions!

Brown?

I HATE "clunky" big icons on the desktop. It seems to me I can only arrange them vertically rather than horizontally as I do in Kubuntu.

How do I change the desktop icon size in Ubuntu?

I LIKE the way Nautilus will find network shares. In Kubuntu I install SMB4K to get the same, maybe better functionality.

Why do you need 2 task bars in Ubuntu? By default on the EeePC it takes up a LOT of screen real estate.

Adding new fonts in Kubuntu is so easy! I've NOT found such a quick way in Ubuntu but in fairness I'm only 48 hours into my experience.

I'm sure I'll find more to discuss over the next few days........
    Alan

Saddleworth, Manchester (UK).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Kubuntu / Ubuntu

Arranging icons - to arrange horizontally, it is possible but atm I'm not using gnome and can't rememeber completely - right clcik the desktop - believe there is an option to tidy, or similar - that needs to be off.

Icon size - open nautilus and Edit > Preferences - Icon View Defaults - change size there

Fonts - I keeps font I install myself in a hidden folder in my /home - .fonts
    once fonts are installed run
    Code:
    sudo fc-cache -f -v
    to rebuild the font cache

Taskbar - when I am using gnome - I have one taskbar with only those items I need on it.