Thread: How do I stop Dolphin from creating those ".d3lphinview" in every single folder?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

How do I stop Dolphin from creating those ".d3lphinview" in every single folder?

...it's especially annoying on SD cards and USB drives!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How do I stop Dolphin from creating those ".d3lphinview" in every single folder?

Are you sure it's dolphin and not d3lphin that creates those files, .d3lphinview ?

https://marrat.homelinux.org/D3lphin
    D3lphin 0.9.1
    - Added option to turn off .d3lphinview files for every folder.
    Even if it's dolphin, there must be an option in its preferences windows (?)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: How do I stop Dolphin from creating those ".d3lphinview" in every single folder?

I don't know what D3lphin is, I'm talking about the file manager in my Kubuntu, which is clearly labeled "Dolphin". I could not find anything about creating hidden files in every folder in the configuration menu...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vvvladut View Post
    I don't know what D3lphin is, I'm talking about the file manager in my Kubuntu, which is clearly labeled "Dolphin". I could not find anything about creating hidden files in every folder in the configuration menu...
    If you are using Kubuntu hardy 8.0.4 then it's d3lphin where the 3 indicates KDE3.xx. It's still dolphin but the package name is d3lphin to differentiate from the KDE4 package dolphin. But the features/configuration should be pretty much the same.
    OB-untu. #!crunchbang

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by xebian View Post
    If you are using Kubuntu hardy 8.0.4 then it's d3lphin where the 3 indicates KDE3.xx. It's still dolphin but the package name is d3lphin to differentiate from the KDE4 package dolphin. But the features/configuration should be pretty much the same.
    The top menu bar, and the about menu all say "Dolphin", although I am using KDE3.5.10.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea how to stop it from creating .d3lphinview files?

Beans

Do you have save view properties for each folder checked in the general tab of the config window? I've never had it turned on so I'm not certain that is causing your .d3lphinview file, but it sounds like the perpetrator.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Denestria View Post
    Do you have save view properties for each folder checked in the general tab of the config window? I've never had it turned on so I'm not certain that is causing your .d3lphinview file, but it sounds like the perpetrator.
    It looks like you identified the perpetrator correctly! But I liked that feature, because if I don't turn that on, Dolphin (or whatever it's spelled) will not remember that I want to see my hidden files, and I will have to turn on viewing hidden files for every folder every time I open one of them, now...

How come Windows can remember folder view settings without creating those obnoxious files all over the place?...

Beans

It looks like you identified the perpetrator correctly! But I liked that feature, because if I don't turn that on, Dolphin (or whatever it's spelled) will not remember that I want to see my hidden files, and I will have to turn on viewing hidden files for every folder every time I open one of them, now...
    Professor Plum in the library with the candlestick!

View > Adjust View Properties, Show Hidden Files = All Folders is broken, but is supposed to be fixed for Intrepid so you should soon be able to view hidden files without wearing out your fingers on the Alt+. keys.

I don't know why there isn't a simple "always view hidden files" checkbox in the config to begin with.