Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission and Magnet links

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Transmission and Magnet links

I've just done a fresh install of the latest Ubuntu (10.10) and I'm having a problem with Magnet links.

I've done the following:

* Type about:config into the address bar and press Enter.
    * Right-click -> New -> Boolean -> Name: network.protocol-handler.external.magnet -> Value -> true
    * Right-click -> New -> String -> Name: network.protocol-handler.app.magnet -> Value -> /usr/bin/transmission
    * Ensure network.protocol-handler.expose-all is set to true
    as per these instructions: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=811037

But Transmission will not start. It works fine with normal torrent links added either through Firefox or in Transmission itself, but when you click a Magnet link nothing happens.

This is a little annoying, because back in 10.4/9.10 everything worked fine.

I'm on 10.10 (64) and with the latest stable Transmission (2.10).

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Transmission and Magnet links

Hey

've just made the about:config configuration:

* Type about:config into the address bar and press Enter.
    * Right-click -> New -> Boolean -> Name: network.protocol-handler.external.magnet -> Value -> true
    * Right-click -> New -> String -> Name: network.protocol-handler.app.magnet -> Value -> /usr/bin/transmission
    * Ensure network.protocol-handler.expose-all is set to true

but I'm still getting the same firefox msg of no magnet association has anyone found a solution for this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

yup just found the solution...

reboot it LOL

Beans

this worked for me
    /home/martin/.mozilla/firefox/5aewyn9t.default/prefs.js
    Code:
    user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.bittorrent", "/usr/bin/ktorrent");
    user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.magnet", "/usr/bin/ktorrent");
    user_pref("network.protocol-handler.expose.magnet", false);

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I'm trying to us magnet links in ktorrent but I don't understand how they work exactly. Firefox throws the links to ktorrent OK but when I click on the magnet icon I see that the file is 'downloading' but there's no mention of where it's downloading to or what the progress is.

Beans

Got it to work using transmission. Quite simple actually - /usr/bin/transmission does not exist, the name of the binary is /usr/bin/transmission-gtk

When I typed it, it began to work just fine. One thing is: I didn't follow the same instructions as OP, but the one at https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/MagnetLinks

Interestingly, the transmission website also says the binary is /usr/bin/transmission rather than /usr/bin/transmission-gtk; maybe it is so in newer versions of ubuntu.
    freedom, forever

Beans

Ok, So I did all this stuff and added firefox plugins and nothing happened. Or so I thought. I was clicking on magnet links, the add to transmission box would come up, and there would be no files to choose. If I clicked add it would add an empty download. Or so I thought... Turns out that if I just waited a while, it all began to magically work. It wasn't exactly the same as it was before so naturally I freaked out... That's why I got into open-sourced stuff in the first place right? So things would always be the same and consistent..</sarc> I am a dummy...

Beans

Hey just in case anyone still needs to know, the GUI method might be a little easier.

Go to the menu bar click Edit->Preferences->Applications (tab)->scroll down to magnet and to the right select "Choose Other" in the drop down menu-> go to File System, then usr/bin/ and choose Transmission-GTK.

After that you should be set.

Beans

Cool Re: Transmission and Magnet links

I am using Google chrome on xubuntu 10.10 and would like to upgrade my Transmission so that I could use the magnet link. Looks like if you are using firefox there is already a solution. Anyone care to advise me on how to use the magnet link?

Beans

I had the same problem here is an easier way that worked for me. Check the path in file system/usr/bin/transmission to see if the application is transmission or transmission-gtk then open up a terminal and type

gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/magnet/command "/usr/bin/transmission '%s'"

gconftool-2 -t bool -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/magnet/needs_terminal false

gconftool-2 -t bool -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/magnet/enabled true

Three different commands and restart firefox and download magnet link and it will now prompt you if you would like to open with transmission. Worked for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast