Thread: has anyone used I2P + BitTorrent?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question has anyone used I2P + BitTorrent?

howdy all,

I've been reading up on anonymity for BitTorrent, and have been looking into I2P . It sounds promising if enough people are using it, so i wanted see if anyone has used it and get some of their thoughts on their experience. was it good? do you still use it?

so has anyone out there used I2P (with a client like azureus)?

Thanks all,
    Franklin

Beans

Re: has anyone used I2P + BitTorrent?

you mean like peer guardian?? cuz, yeah, i use peer guardian, works awesome, doesnt slow your computer or your download down. actually, im pretty sure what it is is just a blocked list of ip's that gets updated every day.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by GibsonSGKing View Post
    you mean like peer guardian?? cuz, yeah, i use peer guardian, works awesome, doesnt slow your computer or your download down. actually, im pretty sure what it is is just a blocked list of ip's that gets updated every day.
    I do use peerguardian, thought it is far from perfect, which is exactly why I want to find a better means. I2P is an anomizing network protocol, rather than an ip blocklist. it's much more sophisticated, and may prevent teh need for blocklists at all. thanks for your reply though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by doas777 View Post
    I do use peerguardian, thought it is far from perfect, which is exactly why I want to find a better means. I2P is an anomizing network protocol, rather than an ip blocklist. it's much more sophisticated, and may prevent teh need for blocklists at all. thanks for your reply though.
    ooooooh, ok, i know what your talking about, but no, ive never used one. i have heard very good things about them however =D i hope this helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

uhm, you should not use i2p with peer guardian... I've used i2p, I wasn't really able to find too much; but I didn't do torrents, so that might be why. I'll probably reinstall i2p once I am behind a NAT that I can punch holes in.

if you aren't behind a NAT that you can punch holes in, your view of the network will be kind of limited. Preferably you can both make your machine function as a server and also have a good uptime...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Karjala View Post
    uhm, you should not use i2p with peer guardian... I've used i2p, I wasn't really able to find too much; but I didn't do torrents, so that might be why. I'll probably reinstall i2p once I am behind a NAT that I can punch holes in.

if you aren't behind a NAT that you can punch holes in, your view of the network will be kind of limited. Preferably you can both make your machine function as a server and also have a good uptime...
    I disagree. You should use PeerGuardian2 or IPList (IPBlock) if you set the I2P tunnel jumps too low (say none or one) or to increase overall security. For jumps greater than one, such as two, three, or four, you should be okay not to run PeerGuardian or IPList.

To increase the chance of finding the file you are looking for, you have to search torrent trackers inside of I2P, such as tracker2.postman.i2p (or soon to be released, trackerless torrents), iMule, i2Phex, Freenet 0.5/Frost inside of I2P (run by Tino) and eepsites.
    My PGP Public Encryption Key:
    http://johndoe32102002.blogspot.com