Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big theme problem: Change EVERYTHING

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Big theme problem: Change EVERYTHING

Hi guys, I got the following problem: I can't really get themes to work as they should work. A little example:

Check this out
    http://gnome-look.org/CONTENT/content-pre1/87514-1.jpg
    This guy basically changed everything. If I tried to install that I'd end-up having the same window borders and that's it. Everything else would be "Human".

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.p...?content=73210
    I'd love to use this but I just can't.
    Also, how do you start creating themes. I know you gotta use engines, what engines would I have to use to create such themes? Also , is creating themes more like programming or designing? I can design but programming...well... lol

Anyhow , thanks a bunch for your help. I really wanna use Ubuntu instead of Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Big theme problem: Change EVERYTHING

Try "sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-desktop" and see whether you like it. Its awesome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ellalan View Post
    Try "sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-desktop" and see whether you like it. Its awesome.
    Haha , that doesn't look too bad but I don't wanna just avoid the problem. I kinda wanna solve it. I tried some stuff anf I got to use the theme a little bit. I got the window borders. the colours within the windows (which I actually never managed to get) now the only thing I need are the taskbars. I still got the usual Ubuntu ones. Once I'm done this I'm good for least 6 months , haha. I did whatever this guy said , just ain't working. I am not simply asking him because I want to solve this problem for future themes. Like what do I got to do when such a problem occurs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Some themes require the Aurora engine. Search for a .deb file for it on gnome-look. To install themes, unpack the .tar.gz file and the folder with another folder called "gtk-2.0" and maybe also "metacity" in it, you copy to the Appearance>themes app.

Or you can just copy the entire tar.gz file over to Appearance (but this will install everything inside, as many themes comes with different color variations).

To customize/select new themes, just click on Customize in Appearance.

It's very easy, really

NOTE: As said above some themes require the Aurora engine. There are more engines available, like Clearlooks, Murrine and Ubuntulooks. All these are preinstalled in Ubuntu, but some themes now use the alpha/beta version of Murrine (murrine-svn). So you might have to install that... Always check for which engine the theme require in the notes or it might not look correct.
    The best in life is free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Ub1476 View Post
    Some themes require the Aurora engine. Search for a .deb file for it on gnome-look. To install themes, unpack the .tar.gz file and the folder with another folder called "gtk-2.0" and maybe also "metacity" in it, you copy to the Appearance>themes app.

Or you can just copy the entire tar.gz file over to Appearance (but this will install everything inside, as many themes comes with different color variations).

To customize/select new themes, just click on Customize in Appearance.

It's very easy, really

NOTE: As said above some themes require the Aurora engine. There are more engines available, like Clearlooks, Murrine and Ubuntulooks. All these are preinstalled in Ubuntu, but some themes now use the alpha/beta version of Murrine (murrine-svn). So you might have to install that... Always check for which engine the theme require in the notes or it might not look correct.
    Thank you a lot for your help. I really did manage to configure lots of stuff and well. I understand the engine thing. My question now is whether creating a theme is more like programming or designing à la Photoshop?
    I'd really like to create themes but yet I didn't even manage to know how you actually do it >_>

Beans

Creating themes is more like programming unless you go with the pixmap engine. Reason is because the engines allow the color to be changed by e.g. GNOME's Appearance tool. Pixmaps themes can't have this. I recommend you poke around ~/.themes (thats /home/username/.themes, and the .themes folder is hidden) and look at different themes to see what you think.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Rimdeker View Post
    Hi guys, I got the following problem: I can't really get themes to work as they should work. A little example:

Check this out
    http://gnome-look.org/CONTENT/content-pre1/87514-1.jpg
    This guy basically changed everything. If I tried to install that I'd end-up having the same window borders and that's it. Everything else would be "Human".
    Well, to be fair that is "Whats in a name?", he is here on the ubuntu forums and ridiculously talented. Look on the community cafe screenshot sticky for some examples he has done.

Yes that theme uses the Aurora engine, so go on gnome-look and search for aurora deb packages, you can just run those and it'll install the engine. After that, just go to appearance-themes and install the glow-ibex.tar.gz file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mewithafez View Post
    Well, to be fair that is "Whats in a name?", he is here on the ubuntu forums and ridiculously talented. Look on the community cafe screenshot sticky for some examples he has done.

Yes that theme uses the Aurora engine, so go on gnome-look and search for aurora deb packages, you can just run those and it'll install the engine. After that, just go to appearance-themes and install the glow-ibex.tar.gz file.
    Thanks for your help, I'll do that and well, we'll see.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Re: Big theme problem: Change EVERYTHING

The application I'm developing, Epidermis, is one that aims to customise the look and feel of the Ubuntu (GNOME) desktop, all of it, quickly and easily.
    It's open source and hosted on launchpad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Flimm View Post
    The application I'm developing, Epidermis, is one that aims to customise the look and feel of the Ubuntu (GNOME) desktop, all of it, quickly and easily.
    It's open source and hosted on launchpad.
    1st , thanks for you help. Really appreciated. About your software:
    Is it reliable , yet? I mean , you said developing , isn't really encouraging...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast