Thread: Uninstalling KDE also removes OpenOffice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Uninstalling KDE also removes OpenOffice

Hello everyone,
    few months ago I was playing with KDE and GNOME and decided to settle with GNOME. So I uninstalled KDE and in the process I lost OpenOffice (I fixed that issue ). But just fixing the issue has left me unsatisfied. Now I want to know what exactly went wrong. Uninstalling the KDE should only remove WM and DE related files.

I used
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install kubuntu desktop
    to install and
    Code:
    sudo aptitude remove kubuntu desktop
    to uninstall KDE.

Should I have used apt-get instead (I read somewhere that using aptitude for metapackages are better than apt-get).

Also, having more than one DE creates a mess in the menue, especially in GNOME. Is there any way to make it cleaner?

Thanks!
    Never give up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Uninstalling KDE also removes OpenOffice

To prevent KDE apps from showing up in Gnome menus and vice-versa, do the following:

If you use the Gnome desktop (like I do) try this:

Make a backup:
    Code:
    mkdir ~/.desktopbackup
    cp -R /usr/share/applications/ ~/.desktopbackup
    On a command line type:
    Code:
    for i in /usr/share/applications/kde/*; do echo "OnlyShowIn=KDE;" | sudo tee -a $i; done
    You could also do the same with KDE by changing it to:
    Code:
    for i in /usr/share/applications/*; do echo "OnlyShowIn=GNOME;" | sudo tee -a $i; done
    Hope this helps.........

Beans

Re: Uninstalling KDE also removes OpenOffice

Quote Originally Posted by marty1011 View Post
    Hello everyone,
    few months ago I was playing with KDE and GNOME and decided to settle with GNOME. So I uninstalled KDE and in the process I lost OpenOffice (I fixed that issue ). But just fixing the issue has left me unsatisfied. Now I want to know what exactly went wrong. Uninstalling the KDE should only remove WM and DE related files.

I used
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install kubuntu desktop
    to install and
    Code:
    sudo aptitude remove kubuntu desktop
    to uninstall KDE.

Should I have used apt-get instead (I read somewhere that using aptitude for metapackages are better than apt-get).

Also, having more than one DE creates a mess in the menue, especially in GNOME. Is there any way to make it cleaner?

Thanks!
    In this case yes apt might have been better.
    as for you menu entries, if you remove your KDE files such as kdebase and the like you should be able to have less clutter.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED