Thread: Automatic sync thunderbird and dropbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Automatic sync thunderbird and dropbox

Hi

So I recently signed up for dropbox (check it out if you haven't already) the otherday so that I can sync my email mailboxes on both my laptop and desktop. The only problem with this is that I have to manually rsync my to the correct directories. I would like to automate this process whereby when I open Thunderbird it automatically gets the mailboxes from the dropbox and when I close Thunderbird the mailboxes sync back to dropbox.
    I would also like the automation script to work when I use the Thunderbird icon. Any one have any ideas on how to do this?

Cheers

Re: Automatic sync thunderbird and dropbox

make a shell script like:

Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    rsync (whatever) #retreve mail
    thunderbird # BASH will wait here until you exit thunderbird
    rsync (whaever) # this line will run when you quit
    and make the icon run this script instead of running thunderbird directly
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans

Glenn,

Did you have much luck with this? I would be very interested to try out this solution to sync emails between two computers. I know that it is possible with FireFox but wondered if with Thunderbird the profile.ini file is maybe too big for it to work quickly? I mean if one had thousands of emails would dropbox be uploading and downloading a file that is a few hundred megabytes for example?

Hope someone can shed some light here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'm bumping this thread because I would *really* like to know how to do this. Thunderbird is the bomb - best thing ever for keeping track of three email addresses. But I use four different computers on a regular basis so it would be great to be able to use thunderbird's syncing ability with dropbox's sharing ability. Any ideas? I have no experience with scripting but I've done some programming so I'm not scared of it.

Thanks.