Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harddrive unmounts randomly

Beans

Re: Harddrive unmounts randomly

Well, I'm assuming it's not a distribution problem. I'm running Hardy. I assume you are running Gutsy? I think I might have come accross a possibility though. I had a jumpdrive plugged into the port right underneath the one my hdd was plugged into and when I ejected and pulled out the jump drive an error popped up saying unsafe eject for the hdd.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

My profile is not up to date, I am also running HH.

Beans

I have a Seagate external hard drive that has exhibited the same behavior. It has been very aggravating and I feared data corruption or a failing hard drive. It would even unmount amidst a read or write operation mid way through. It is formatted NTFS and I am using Hardy.

Recently, I decided to verify the problem was not with the disk. Analysis utilities turned up no problems. CHKDSK found a couple small errors, but I still suspected more with the filesystem. Thus, I pulled all the data off my drive, and reformatted to NTFS (using GPARTED). Since, I have not had a problem with ubuntu randomly unmounting my drive.

Since, I have also reinstalled Hardy and have not enabled backport or proposed updates. I do not know if this corresponds with the issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

My external hard disk is ext3 formatted, and I cannot even fsck it : it stops responding during the check.

Beans

My harddrive was formatted ntfs when I first had problems with it. I eventually couldn't get the thing to mount in windows either. When I did, I had a hell of a time getting the stuff off of it without it freezing. Mp3's had been corrupted, file tags had been lost, etc. I sent the harddrive back for warranty replacement figuring it was the problem. When I got the new one I immediately formatted it to reiserfs. Didn't change anything. I have repeatedly seen problems whenever plugging and unplugging things into the other usb ports though.

Beans

Have you tried removing the disk from the enclosure and seeing how well it works without it going through the USB interface? If the drive works, then the USB interface of the enclosure may be damaged, or going out.
    http://www.honorknightsofazeroth.com
    This is my WoW guild on the Scilla server for the Horde. Feel free to join us. We're an open Social/Family type guild.............. NM, the guild died.

Beans

I'm assuming you mean plugging it directly into the computer via SATA? I'm at school and don't have access to a desktop computer. I've only got my laptop. Would the usb interface on the harddrive actually be affected when plugging and unplugging other usb devices into the computer?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12