Thread: Localhost 631?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Localhost 631?

Hi guys!

Somewhere along the way, I found a reference to http://localhost:631/ & tried it.

Followed an uneasy feeling of not knowing where I was...
    I thought localhost was my computer somehow (sorry to be so dumb).
    But here I seem to be out in the internet somewhere...
    But somewhere where they have a list of all my printers & where I (they?) can add/remove/change all my printer settings!

It all seems to be compatible with what I find under Ubuntu > System > Administration > Printers.
    Changes made in one show up in the other OK, so no obvious conflict.

I now notice that the window for Administration > Printers is headed "Printer configuration - localhost"...

Can somebody please explain what is going on here (in simple language if possible)?

Should I be using localhost:631 or not?
    Is it better or worse than Administration > Printers ?
    Advantages & disadvantages?

Thanks!
    Visit Ubuntu GUI Fan Club . . . . Visit Disconnected Jottings from Alsace
    Acer Aspire TC-100-007: Dual boot W8.1 / 14.04.1 Unity: Canon iP4300: Epson V200: also Asus 1015PED: W7 / 14.04.1LTS Unity

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Localhost 631?

Your cups installation is listening on localhost on port 631, so if you enter it in a browser you get redirected to the webbased cups configuration frontend, which will let you do similar things as the GUI. You could use that if you like it more or you could use the GUI if you like that one. Using both will not result in any conflict.

Beans

Re: Localhost 631?

The URL localhost:631 is the CUPS interface to view, add, or modify printers. The "Printing" sub-menu choice under Administration is a python script that provide a Gnome front-end to CUPS.

The Gnome Printing interface simplifies set up of printers for a CUPS printing environment. If you want more granular control over your printers, then CUPS interface may be provide the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by 2CV67 View Post
    Hi guys!

Somewhere along the way, I found a reference to http://localhost:631/ & tried it.

Followed an uneasy feeling of not knowing where I was...
    I thought localhost was my computer somehow (sorry to be so dumb).
    But here I seem to be out in the internet somewhere...
    But somewhere where they have a list of all my printers & where I (they?) can add/remove/change all my printer settings!

It all seems to be compatible with what I find under Ubuntu > System > Administration > Printers.
    Changes made in one show up in the other OK, so no obvious conflict.

I now notice that the window for Administration > Printers is headed "Printer configuration - localhost"...

Can somebody please explain what is going on here (in simple language if possible)?

Should I be using localhost:631 or not?
    Is it better or worse than Administration > Printers ?
    Advantages & disadvantages?

Thanks!