Thread: Running for an external HDD

Beans

Running for an external HDD

I just got both Ubuntu and Kubuntu and want to use both, but do not want to partition my internal hard drive. Is there some way that I could load both to an external hard drive and run both from there only. Also, would i need / should I partition the external hard drive if I do install both? Also, is there some way that I could have it ask me which OS I wanted to rune from boot-up, instead of having to change it all every time?

Finally, I am going to have to run Kubuntu from the disk for a few days until I get the External HDD. Is it fine, and I am assuming so, to save files from Ubuntu/Kubuntu onto a HDD that is programmed for windows.

Beans

Re: Running for an external HDD

Why both?

Just install one then add related packages.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Running for an external HDD

you dont need to install Ubuntu/Kubuntu in seperate partitions. you can install Ubuntu and then kubuntu-desktop or first install Kubuntu and then install ubuntu-desktop package for the same effect.

when you login make sure you choose the session type as GNOME or KDE for Ubuntu and Kubuntu respectively. they are the same OS only different desktop environments.

that way you can try both and choose what works for you. also you can pick and choose apps running KDE apps in GNOME and vice versa
    Refugee from openSuse ever since they sold out to M$