View Poll Results: Which folder icon do you want in Mac4Lin v1.0?

Voters
431. You may not vote on this poll
Page 11 of 92 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac4Lin - New releases, discussions, comments etc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Mac4Lin - New releases, discussions, comments etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JbsTac View Post
    Hey, great work on the RC 1! I really like the whole OS X look. A quick - I hope - question. I've got the wireless network icon from Mac4Lin 0.2 and I want to replace the network manager tray icon with it. I've tried even replacing the default gnome icons but it doesn't change. Could anyone tell me how to do this? I'm using Intrepid. Thanks!
    Thats the reason why I stopped updating the Network Manager icons. I am tired of running behind it!!! If you get to know, then do lemme know too
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."

http://phoenix-ani.blogspot.com

Beans

Hi guys,

I've beem usimg mac4lin since v. 0.3 and loved it.

I just switched to Ubuntu 8.10 a week ago and yesterday I installed this mac4lin v 1 RC, I'm using it "clean" (I mean I don't use Compiz and visual effects, just the theme), and found a few problems, most of them already described here in this topic by other people, but I've got a few more comments to let you know:

- Instead of the proper "Computer" icon on desktop, I've got an icon that depicts a blue folder with an "X" on it.
    I looked into the icons folders and that's the one included for "Computer", which is weird; so I had to change it manually.
    I don't know if this happens only to me or to someone else.

- Personally (and it's only a matter of tastes) I don't like the installation script. I prefer the manual installation, as on older mac4lin versions.

- At least a README file is much needed; I don't mean to update the whole pdf included on older versions, but at least a small README with a link to this topic and a couple warnings about the few things that may not work properly, would be great and easy to set up.

- Just to let you know, the Clear-type fonts fix doesn't work well on Intrepid (text looks blurry everywhere), at least for some people, so it should be removed from the pack.

- And here's a solution for others who just updated their Ubuntu and got Firefox 3.0.3: the older add-ons and themes don't work, but I found a theme that does work fine on new FF versions:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/7172

Keep up the good work!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Linc View Post
    Hi guys,

I've beem usimg mac4lin since v. 0.3 and loved it.

I just switched to Ubuntu 8.10 a week ago and yesterday I installed this mac4lin v 1 RC, I'm using it "clean" (I mean I don't use Compiz and visual effects, just the theme), and found a few problems, most of them already described here in this topic by other people, but I've got a few more comments to let you know:

- Instead of the proper "Computer" icon on desktop, I've got an icon that depicts a blue folder with an "X" on it.
    I looked into the icons folders and that's the one included for "Computer", which is weird; so I had to change it manually.
    I don't know if this happens only to me or to someone else.
    I didn't see that on my system but I'll try to take a look at it later. Hopefully we can get it fixed in RC2.

- Personally (and it's only a matter of tastes) I don't like the installation script. I prefer the manual installation, as on older mac4lin versions.
    I prefer the manual method as well, but some people prefer an install program/script. The manual for version 1.0 will have both the script and info on how to install it manually so both types of users should be happy with it.

- At least a README file is much needed; I don't mean to update the whole pdf included on older versions, but at least a small README with a link to this topic and a couple warnings about the few things that may not work properly, would be great and easy to set up.
    The manual is being updated for 1.0, and infra and I are working to get the updated PDF online but we're having permission issues on SourceForge and filesize issues here so it's not online yet. I'll post a link here when the PDF is available for everyone to check. In the meantime I'll write a short README-type file that will be available on our SourceForge site.

- Just to let you know, the Clear-type fonts fix doesn't work well on Intrepid (text looks blurry everywhere), at least for some people, so it should be removed from the pack.
    I'm not having an issue like that on Intrepid. Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

- And here's a solution for others who just updated their Ubuntu and got Firefox 3.0.3: the older add-ons and themes don't work, but I found a theme that does work fine on new FF versions:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/7172

Keep up the good work!
    The "official" Mac4Lin 1.0 theme for Firefox is based on that theme. DrP posted a link to updated versions, and I'm hearing he needs to make a few more changes, but if you check out what he posted already I think you'll be pretty happy.
    For an OSX look check out Mac4Lin (updated support thread)
    Follow me on Twitter | My Blog
    The Search tool is your friend.

Beans

Hey, thank you very much for your reply.

Regarding the Clear-Type fonts looking blurry, sorry, I cannot provide a screenshot as I already fixed the problem by restoring the original settings.

I mean, it's not a mac4lin problem, it's an Ubuntu 8.10 problem, so it has nothing to do with you guys. That's why I said that you should remove it from the package; you didn't do anything wrong, it's the Intrepid who's got the problem, 'cause it worked fine on previous Ubuntu versions.
    I just did a quick search here at Ubuntuforums and found some more people getting the same issue with the fontconfig.tbz file, but because it doesn't work well with Intrepid. It has nothing to do with mac4lin or any other theme.

By the way, earlier today when I posted this, I forgot to add something: although I've been using mac4lin since v0.3 and I love it, in this new 1.0 RC version there's something that I just LOVE, and that's the fact that icons from inside the programs are now smaller than before. Call it the file browser or whatever other program, I get all the taskbars icons smallers, which never happened to me before. So I guess you guys modified something there.

By the way, just a question, is there a mac4lin "To-Do" list anywhere? I'd like to see if there's something I can do to contribute to the mac4lin project.

Thanks again.

Beans

You can check on the SourceForge site but I think the only things to do now are to get the screenshots updated for the 1.0 docs. Neither infra nor I use wireless so if you want to update some of the screenies I'd really appreciate it. You can see what screenshots we need from the end of the docs I've posted to my blog (until I can get them up on SourceForge, that is).

Other than that I think the only thing is to tweak the Firefox themes and DrP is on that case. You're welcome to test the updated files that we have around this thread and the SourceForge site to see if there's anything we're missing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Yes, we are hoping to come out with 1.0 Final soon. Probably as a Christmas gift to all of you!
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."

http://phoenix-ani.blogspot.com

Beans

I got some changes for the docs so I updated the file on my blog. We're moving the screenshots from the back of the docs to the SourceForge site so they're no longer in the PDF. If you got the file earlier today please get the updated version so you can make sure I haven't missed anything else.

I just installed the 1.0 RC and the only problem I am facing is with Firefox 3.0 theme. I tried to install it manually, but when i try to install it I get a message saying that its not compatible with FF 3.0.

any solutions?
    what is beautiful is not always good, but what is good is always beautiful!

Are you bored? This might help!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajeetraj View Post
    I just installed the 1.0 RC and the only problem I am facing is with Firefox 3.0 theme. I tried to install it manually, but when i try to install it I get a message saying that its not compatible with FF 3.0.

any solutions?
    Please read the above posts in this page, as the mac4lin creators talk about that and even myself provided a link to a Mac-like theme for Firefox 3.

yeah the theme you gave for firefox it works and it looks ok but when i click on the menu, the text on the menu or the highlighted text disappears.

thanks for the reply!
    what is beautiful is not always good, but what is good is always beautiful!

Are you bored? This might help!

Page 11 of 92 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast