View Poll Results: Which folder icon do you want in Mac4Lin v1.0?

Voters
431. You may not vote on this poll
Page 24 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac4Lin - New releases, discussions, comments etc.

Beans

Re: Mac4Lin - New releases, discussions, comments etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ardchoille42 View Post
    Wait, you're installing as root? Won't that just set roots themes and not your users theme? I looked at that script and it installs things in $HOME, so if you run it as root it will theme root's stuff and not your user stuff. But, I could be wrong.
    infra_red_dude suggested that I follow the PDF file, thats like the first step, but theres no GTK Metacity Theme

Beans

well theres GTK Metacity theme at http://www.gnome-look.org/ but theres no traffic lights on any of those themes. tried them all and nothing to implement them in the read me. so where are the Mac4Lin_Aqua and
    Mac4Lin_Graphite thats explained in the read me? that would help tremendously. or is something i need to do to get the traffic lights to show? also i cant extrat the 8.1
    Usplash Screen (Boot splash)

tar: Mac4Lin-usplash_1.0s.so: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

also the forward/back/reload/stop for firefox are glitching too
    Last edited by KEE; December 6th, 2008 at 10:55 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KEE View Post
    well theres GTK Metacity theme at http://www.gnome-look.org/ but theres no traffic lights on any of those themes. tried them all and nothing to implement them in the read me. so where are the Mac4Lin_Aqua and
    Mac4Lin_Graphite thats explained in the read me? that would help tremendously. or is something i need to do to get the traffic lights to show? also i cant extrat the 8.1
    Usplash Screen (Boot splash)

tar: Mac4Lin-usplash_1.0s.so: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

also the forward/back/reload/stop for firefox are glitching too
    very strange the traffic lights came on ...just in the middle of something ...dont know what i did ...Kool

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by infra_red_dude View Post
    That is normal if you don't haf any artwork installed in your home folder. Just create .themes, .icons, .emerald (if you use Emerald Theme Manager) in your home folder and the script will do the rest. Otherwise you can always do the manual installation as explained the PDF documentation
    Thanks for posting that. I wasn't aware the directories may not be created automatically. I'll add that to the docs.

Yeah, that's the one I had been using, but the top level menu item text goes blank on mouse-over.. yours don't do that
    That's a known issue in the MacOSX Theme. DrP fixed it for us.

ok how do I uninstall this? its not like the document at all =/ there are no Mac4Lin_Aqua and Mac4Lin_Graphite themes and searched for it. please help
    I beg to differ. In the Mac4Lin 1.0 RC1 folder (where I extracted it to) there's a folder called GTK, which has these files:
    Code:
    peng@IceBox-Hardy:~/Mac4Lin/Mac4Lin_v1.0_RC1/GTK$ dir
    Mac4Lin_GTK_Graphite_v1.0_RC.tar.gz     Mac4Lin_MacMenu_v1.0_RC.tar.gz
    Mac4Lin_GTK_v1.0_RC.tar.gz         Mac4Lin_Meta_v1.0_RC.tar.gz
    Mac4Lin_MacMenu_Graphite_v1.0_RC.tar.gz
    peng@IceBox-Hardy:~/Mac4Lin/Mac4Lin_v1.0_RC1/GTK$
    Those 11 files are in the /GTK directory of the Mac4Lin 1.0 RC1 archive. As for uninstalling, there's an uninstall script, but it could blow away your Mac4Lin working folders. You may want to move the files you downloaded from our SourceForge site to another directory for safe keeping, unless you just want to download them again at a later date.

ok that worked but there was a name changed its not *RC1 its just *RC, I think the file is named that way too. heres what i got so far

Code:
     root@root-desktop:~/Desktop/Mac4Lin_v1.0_RC1$ sudo ./Mac4Lin_Install_v1.0_RC.sh
    there is some errors in here is this normal? lol
    I'm curious why you're logged in as root. That's a very bad idea from a security standpoint and really shouldn't be done. Ever. Ubuntu gives you tools to for users to use to temporarily grant you root access. As far as running the script as the root user goes it could be generating unintended issues. Running the script with sudo is unnecessary. When it comes time to need root level access it asks for your sudo password.

infra_red_dude suggested that I follow the PDF file, thats like the first step, but theres no GTK Metacity Theme
    Again, you're logged in as root, which is a very bad idea and could be causing more problems than it fixes. If you have a regular user account please log in with that account and see if the script runs better. And as I pasted above there should be 11 items in that folder. If you don't have them than you may need to download the RC1.
    For an OSX look check out Mac4Lin (updated support thread)
    Follow me on Twitter | My Blog
    The Search tool is your friend.

Beans

very strange the traffic lights came on ...just in the middle of something ...dont know what i did ...Kool
    Infra_red_dude I think i got everything, but its not mention in the document that all of the GTK and Mac4Lin is not included. I actually had to find things in the list or replace it with like files. also it seems I cant change the "Mac4Lin" loading screen thats at start up. is that still startup manager that have to configure? i tried twice but its still shows. I was hopeing to make it more like an apple. that "Mac4Lin" is ok but its glitchy because of that loading sprite underneath. How would I replace that? and some of the back/forward/refresh/stop icons on the browser are glitchy as well. other then that its a good set up.

dj peng, I got working though its nice and run faster then what hardy was before, not sure why lol. i changed alot of the start up like i see the Mac4Lin_splash2.png, 75519-GTK Login Splash.tar.gz but not Mac4Lin-usplash_1.0p.so I dont want "mac4Lin" there though and i dont know how to change that??? Please Help!
    Last edited by KEE; December 6th, 2008 at 02:45 PM.

Beans

I wrote the docs before RC1 came out so I missed some changes. It's on my list.

Alas, the Usplashes are borked for Intrepid until I can get them rebuilt, and when I checked the script I had for the last build it got updated to be easier to use and isn't working quite properly. I'm planning on trying to get that fixed this weekend because I've come to love our Usplashes. Creating Usplashes is a bit of a pian, especially since the script I use has been updated in ways that's making itharder for me to use.

I'm using the Aqua Firefox theme with small isons (I can't stand the damned keyhole that got brought into Fx3) and I'm not having any issues. Can you be a little more specific as to what you're experiencing?

Beans

well in Browser, not so much with the aqua theme, but if I change it to something else like other themes it looks like this ...well i could post an image but i dont know how to do that? anyway the "mac4Lin" is glitchy cause of that little loading cycle sprite. its a mix of colors of purple and pink and black. Is there a way to change that? or is that built in the script? hardy was abit difficult because alot of the files that was mention in the pdf was suppose to be in specific locations but couldnt cause of permissions so I tried something and it worked. i got a couple of boot splash and got through every step but i didnt understand or see mac4Lin loading sprite in the Document.
    Last edited by KEE; December 6th, 2008 at 03:50 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Peng View Post
    I wrote the docs before RC1 came out so I missed some changes. It's on my list.

Alas, the Usplashes are borked for Intrepid until I can get them rebuilt, and when I checked the script I had for the last build it got updated to be easier to use and isn't working quite properly. I'm planning on trying to get that fixed this weekend because I've come to love our Usplashes. Creating Usplashes is a bit of a pian, especially since the script I use has been updated in ways that's making itharder for me to use.

I'm using the Aqua Firefox theme with small isons (I can't stand the damned keyhole that got brought into Fx3) and I'm not having any issues. Can you be a little more specific as to what you're experiencing?
    i guess it just needed a restart and plus i hide all the files under in my home to clean up the desktop so no more glitchy back/forward/refresh/stop icons. very nice yes it is. and very clean. I still can believe its running faster then before Mac4Lin?!! at first, I had not believe it would have looked this good but its very nice and very easy to play with it =D very user friendly, I just needed get familiar with it. what through me off was i didnt get any files. so i had abit of a hard time finding them but it worked in the end. Did i say you did a great job? well you did Congratz!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Wait, you're installing as root? Won't that just set roots themes and not your users theme? I looked at that script and it installs things in $HOME, so if you run it as root it will theme root's stuff and not your user stuff. But, I could be wrong.
    You are right

well in Browser, not so much with the aqua theme, but if I change it to something else like other themes it looks like this ...well i could post an image but i dont know how to do that? anyway the "mac4Lin" is glitchy cause of that little loading cycle sprite. its a mix of colors of purple and pink and black. Is there a way to change that? or is that built in the script? hardy was abit difficult because alot of the files that was mention in the pdf was suppose to be in specific locations but couldnt cause of permissions so I tried something and it worked. i got a couple of boot splash and got through every step but i didnt understand or see mac4Lin loading sprite in the Document.
    That permission thingy was mostly coz you were not logged in as a normal user.

i guess it just needed a restart and plus i hide all the files under in my home to clean up the desktop so no more glitchy back/forward/refresh/stop icons. very nice yes it is. and very clean. I still can believe its running faster then before Mac4Lin?!! at first, I had not believe it would have looked this good but its very nice and very easy to play with it =D very user friendly, I just needed get familiar with it. what through me off was i didnt get any files. so i had abit of a hard time finding them but it worked in the end. Did i say you did a great job? well you did Congratz!!!
    I guess DJ Peng answered all your queries even before I logged in! Thanks for comment. Appreciate that!
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."

http://phoenix-ani.blogspot.com

Beans

I'm honestly not sure what's causing it. I'm having to use a script I found on the Ubuntu Software site and I'm not even sure what's doing what, but then I never claimed to be a programmer.

It's amazing how many times something as simple as a restart cleans up things we'd been fighting with. Glad it fixed things for you. Tomorrow I'm still scheduled to try to get the Usplashes working.

Page 24 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast