View Poll Results: Which folder icon do you want in Mac4Lin v1.0?

Voters
431. You may not vote on this poll
Page 13 of 92 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac4Lin - New releases, discussions, comments etc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Mac4Lin - New releases, discussions, comments etc.

Hello

I completely agree with you on the fact that Mac4Lin doesn't bring 100% Mac OS X UI to Linux.

When you ask "Can't xyz be done?" from a user's perspective, I'd say you are not wrong in asking that. Me, being one who codes themes can answer this question from a coder's perspective. Different themes give different levels of accuracy. Each component in a theme is tightly integrated. So to get that certain "abc" you may need to implement the theme in a certain fashion. This means, if you haf "abc" in your theme you may not be able to implement feature "def".

But yes, with the latest versions of engines it maybe possible to integrate all features. I did try a couple of what you've indicated in your screenshots, but unfortunately it broke the existing elements. Surely, working hard on the current code, I suppose we can achieve the results. We'll prolly haf to re-code all the dependent elements.

I do not rule out including all this in the next version. I will try whatever I can with the limited time I haf.

Cheers
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."

http://phoenix-ani.blogspot.com

Beans

Hi Infra_red_dude,

I understand what you say. However, let's just keep in mind that it is possible...make a theme an exact replica of leopard

BUT, I am sure You can't do this on your own. I don't expect you to work that hard. What I have been hoping is that more people come and work with you...as a team of mac4lin. Otherwise, without a team, we can never get the quality theme on time.

Are there people who are working on mac4lin besides you??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes. DJ "Peng" Hardin is working on the documentation and Dr.P is working on the Mozilla themes. Thats our small team as of now.

And I've always invited people to join me in making Mac4Lin better. The offer still is and will always be open as I say in almost every other post of mine!
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spandanj View Post
    Thanks for posting that link. I can't tell you how many times I've had to go hunting for Leopard screenshots to try to see what the original looks like in one circumstance or another.

There's also another issue with trying to copy OSX too carefully. Apple isn't above slapping down people who use their looks, etc. without proper permission. Just in the last year infra and I have talked about the Mac4Lin logo components and what we can and can't use because of ownership/licensing issues. If we try to duplicate the look of OSX too closely we may find that infra's hearing from Apple's lawyers, even if we do manage to keep the changes from borking the rest of the the system.

That said, I look forward to seeing even more of the OSX experience in Linux, especially with projects such as Gloobus and Global Menu (formerly known as MacMenu).
    For an OSX look check out Mac4Lin (updated support thread)
    Follow me on Twitter | My Blog
    The Search tool is your friend.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

A very valid point, Hardin, which I missed! Damn.. I know how much I've thought about including that logo!

Beans

First time poster, long time reader. I'm reasonably skilled with Linux, but I find that I'm always learning new things. I've been having an issue with the appearance of your (wonderful) theme. Hope the next screenshot helps. I'm using Intrepid with the latest updates. What engine am I missing? I can't seem to find anything in synaptic.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

^^^ Nothing actually! A "false" error which is generated by the engine coz of 1 blank line in the gtkrc file. This error has been dealt with and will not appear in the next RC version. But as such its harmless and you can go ahead and use the theme

Beans

Thanks!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Peng View Post
    Thanks for posting that link. I can't tell you how many times I've had to go hunting for Leopard screenshots to try to see what the original looks like in one circumstance or another.
    more screenshots for you: http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9043898

sadly, they are not full resolution. but, not bad.

also, can you please mac4lin theme less grey...take a look at 2 screenshots I have attached. I like the white version. it's easy on the eyes, and easy to skim over.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

again,

PLEASE infra_red_dude, I will be disappointed if you do not make mac4lin less grey....please.

take a look - http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&pageNumber=23

- the secondary space is less GREY than main toolbar.

also, DO take a LOOK at the rest of the screenshots!

I really, really hope that the next release is way Better than one we have. there are so many improvements to be made.

thanks. you are awesome.

Page 13 of 92 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast