Thread: Video resolution problems after install/uninstall of Wine/WoW

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Unhappy Video resolution problems after install/uninstall of Wine/WoW

I'm having video trouble which I am afraid will require a reinstall, but I would rather try to fix it to learn a little more.

I (stupidly) tried to install World of Warcraft Trial under Wine. This of course did not work, so I blew Wine away. Now my lower taskbar is distorted (looks like pixellated static about 5 times the height of the normal taskbar) and the resolution looks wacked out. Top it off, Wireless networking is broken. When I disable the ATI driver, wireless comes back to life and video looks normal, but obviously I want 3d acceleration.

Stats: 64 bit Ubuntu, AMD Phenom 9850
    ATI Sapphire HD3870 video card, ViewSonic 22" monitor at 1680x1050px and 60hz (this is when I have the 3d acceleration disabled)
    8gb DDR2 RAM

I ran "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg" to rebuild xorg.conf and reinstalled the drivers, but this didn't help. I'm guessing it's another config file somewhere that's jacked up, but where do I start looking?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Video resolution problems after install/uninstall of Wine/WoW

Anybody have any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

OK wireless seems to be back up now with the 3D drivers enabled, but I've still got a large static bar at the bottom of the screen, and I can't see the lower taskbar. If I turn on the screensaver, it takes up the whole screen and looks good, and when I come back to the Desktop, the bar is black instead of static. I can see the mouse over this mysterious bar too. What IS visible on the desktop appears squished, as though this bar is pushing everything up, indicating a resolution problem. Res is set to 1600x1200, but every time I try to change this to ANYTHING else, it just comes back to this same resolution.

Beans

I'm in the same boat. I installed virtualbox, and now my screen resolution is stuck at 640x480. If i uninstall the video card driver, the screen resolution returns to normal, but all effects are disabled. Makes no sense.
    There seems to be a lot of people having issues with the resolution on their PCs and laptops, and i haven't been able to find an answer. If any one knows a way to solve this we would both be quite appreciative.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

hey nonzer0,

I dug thru some more old posts and managed to fix my resolution issues using this command from a terminal:

Code:
    sudo displayconfig-gtk
    This seemed to actually save unlike System > Preferences > Screen Resolution, but my wireless is still flaky. Seems like sometimes when I boot it up it will either not connect at all, or connect at brutally slow speeds. Any insight would be appreciated.

Beans

I had tried that. I figured out what the problem was after going through an 8 page thread someone started. It turns out my monitor cable was just a little loose.
    lol. What a nightmare. I suppose it could have been worse.